DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in Missouri, I was thinking about converting my car into a EV. However before I invest into this, I wanted to see if anyone knows would it pass the inspections required for two year registrations, titling any special requirement. Does anyone know in legal terms if this is worth pursuing, at least in Missouri, or who would I have to ask.
I was not able to find much information on line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,
I live in Missouri, I was thinking about converting my car into a EV. However before I invest into this, I wanted to see if anyone knows would it pass the inspections required for two year registrations, titling any special requirement. Does anyone know in legal terms if this is worth pursuing, at least in Missouri, or who would I have to ask.
I was not able to find much information on line.
When I converted my Ford ranger to electric in Tennessee I had to have a state inspector look at it before I could license it. He approved and I got an exemption from emissions testing.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
491 Posts
When I converted my Ford ranger to electric in Tennessee I had to have a state inspector look at it before I could license it. He approved and I got an exemption from emissions testing.
What did the inspection consist of? Did he want to see it drive under its own power and test everything or just look at it generally? Colorado has a similar process but I haven't done it yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What did the inspection consist of? Did he want to see it drive under its own power and test everything or just look at it generally? Colorado has a similar process but I haven't done it yet.
Basically he just looked underneath the hood to see the electronics and in the back bed of the truck to see the batteries. He did not seem to care whether it ran or not. I think it was the first electric conversion he had ever seen.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
The inspection varies by jurisdiction. Here in Reno, you just have to prove all the fuel components are gone. Pretty sure in Bakersfield, CA, I wouldn't be approved. Go to the tech place at your DMV and ask a supervisor politely what they want to see.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The inspection varies by jurisdiction. Here in Reno, you just have to prove all the fuel components are gone. Pretty sure in Bakersfield, CA, I wouldn't be approved. Go to the tech place at your DMV and ask a supervisor politely what they want to see.
You guys dont know how lucky you are. In New Zealand its a massive and very expensive inspection and there are many rules and requirements for how you have converted the car. A big one is no batteries in the front of the car. Whereas you guys are allowed to do that. Our inspection is nothing to do with what you took out of it. Its all about what you put back into it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
You guys dont know how lucky you are. In New Zealand its a massive and very expensive inspection and there are many rules and requirements for how you have converted the car. A big one is no batteries in the front of the car. Whereas you guys are allowed to do that. Our inspection is nothing to do with what you took out of it. Its all about what you put back into it.
Learn the rules and figure out how to exploit them to your advantage. Technically in Reno, my Ranger isn't electric, it has an alternate non fossil fuel system that is smog free.

I know there are hot rodders where you live, seen them on TV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.