DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone.

This is not really an build thread but more off an post to show what I've been building the last 4 months :) The car is in Sweden.

Specs:

Nissan Leaf EM61 motor
Inverter with replacement controll board from Paul Holmes
80 Lev40N cells from Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
SIMP-BMS from Tom de Bree talking over CANBUS with the modules.
Meanwell DC/DC converter
Gigavac contactors for the main feed, Omrons for the charging and DC/DC feeds.
Homemade adapatorplate and coupler in aluminium and titanium.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Very nice build, how is the BMS working out for you?

Those contactors and HV connections are right in the front crush zone, it would not be my personal preference to install them there.

What charger are you using?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice build, how is the BMS working out for you?

Those contactors and HV connections are right in the front crush zone, it would not be my personal preference to install them there.

What charger are you using?
Hello Tom

The BMS works great, haven't found anything wrong with it since we last spoke :)

I have a TC charger for 328V which is relay controlled.

Regarding the position of the contactors did I choose this position with cable lengths in mind. Crashing with an old beetle is probably never a good idea regarding crush zones.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This is a gorgeous conversion! I am working on something very similar on a different platform. How are you cooling the motor?
What kind of performance are you getting, and at what power levels? What's your final drive ratio?

Well done!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is a gorgeous conversion! I am working on something very similar on a different platform. How are you cooling the motor?
What kind of performance are you getting, and at what power levels? What's your final drive ratio?

Well done!
I'm using an electric pump from VW/Audi that's usually used for diesel heating, it flows 15 l/min. Cooling is taken cared of by an small oil-cooler I found at a parts-store in Sweden, similar to Pepboys in the US.

I've only tried so far with 250 A from the batteries, further testing is coming. I was told the batteries can give 10C from it's 40Ah capacity. I did an initial test run yesterday and managed to drive about 80 km until the battery's voltage dropped to low. This was with a cruising speed at around 75 km/h.

I build the car with stock transmission and no clutch so final drive ration in third gear gives 5,775. Look here for more info https://www.ratwell.com/mirror/sandlizrd.baja.com/gears.htm

·
Registered
565 Posts
You have lot's of temperature sensors in the batteries so keep an eye on temperature when testing how high you can go. in the stock pack they have air cooling as you probably know.

What charge voltage / discharge voltages do you use?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have lot's of temperature sensors in the batteries so keep an eye on temperature when testing how high you can go. in the stock pack they have air cooling as you probably know.

What charge voltage / discharge voltages do you use?
Initial testing with 250A max current draw and charging with 10A shows nothing on the temperature of the cells, typically around 19-20 degC now when it's 10 degC outside in Sweden.

I use 3.0-4.1V voltage for charge and discharge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at doing a very similar conversion on a 1970 beetle, I'm still restoring the body though. Do you have any photos of the mounting the motor to the transmission? Or some of the engine bay?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts