DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to convert my '53 Willys.

My plan right now is to buy a kit/parts from EV West (because I've got enough to do with out getting a PhD in what works with what, and what is the right technology to use now), keep the trans and transfer case (although I can be talked out of that), use an electric hydraulic pump for the power steering and power brakes (hydroboost).

This would just be for short trips around the property and around town - when the weather allows.

·
Super Moderator
1,342 Posts
My plan right now is to buy a kit/parts from EV West
Just FYI, EV West has shipped faulty products and then ghosted the buyer for months at a time and made no attempt to replace with functioning hardware.

I used to recommend them, I would now not recommend them. You may tell them why they're losing business if that's your choice.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Electric GT has some really great products. I would recommend you check them out, as you might find some of the components you are looking for.
Electric GT has almost nothing, and they have no motors suitable for this vehicle. Petros, if you're a real person, are you working for Electric GT?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Electric GT has almost nothing, and they have no motors suitable for this vehicle. Petros, if you're a real person, are you working for Electric GT?
That's why I said you might find some of the components. It was just a recommendation. If it doesn't suit you fine. I'll see if I can find some others too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of the places I know are European so they wouldn't be suitable for you. Sorry mate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Electric GT says they have a kit for $32,000 - 120hp/174 ft lbs, 25 or 35kw battery pack. They sent me a BOM. If you want it ... DIY, it's $23k, if you want it all together it's $32k. Not exactly sure what the difference is. They sent me the parts list - Hyper 9, Tesla Battery module, GTE induction box plus billet adapters for my transmission, etc., etc. Seems legit (to my unexperienced eyes) if spendy. But I might be very unrealistic about the all in cost of such a conversion. My Willys would really move with all this in it.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
That's why I said you might find some of the components. It was just a recommendation. If it doesn't suit you fine. I'll see if I can find some others too.
Fair enough :)
We have had a lot of junk posts lately, so when someone joins to recommend one source of components, it raises a red flag. But since you're actually in this conversation, welcome to DIY Electric Car.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
@brian_ Why is what electricGT is offering not right for me? They seemed to focused on older car retrofits.
The only motor product they show of their own is a huge assembly of someone else's motors (they don't even name the manufacturer) and someone else's controllers and charger intended to replace a large V8... and in a silly package intended to look like that V8. It wouldn't likely even fit in a CJ3A. I initially thought that this was the only motor that they offered - obviously I was mistaken about that.

The rest of the motor line is the same stuff everyone else lists; they are products from Cascadia, NetGain, and HPEVS that are available directly from those suppliers - what value are they adding? Sure, if you have go through a retailer you could check their prices. They probably don't actually have any Cascadia products, but just copied the images from the Cascadia website... even Cascadia didn't have their own products for years. The NetGain motor (HyPer9) is particularly amusing, because NetGain buys it from an Italian company which buys it from a Chinese company... so why not put one more company in the chain? It appears that the HyPer9 is essentially the same price from any supplier, but I would rather address issues with the distributor than with a retailer further down the chain.

Their new OX battery modules, on the other hand, look like a good addition to the choices for anyone doing a conversion, particularly if they can afford new modules. Of course they don't make the cells (and probably not the Energy modules, either), but they are at least new cells, and available in a range of configurations to meet your needs.

The do offer a kit, which they call the "173 e-Crate system", that might be suitable... but the problem with any generic kit with a battery pack is that the pack is unlikely to fit your specific vehicle. And it's massively expensive. And remember that the listed price isn't your whole conversion cost, since the adapter and clutch assembly is extra, and there are no mounting brackets for anything other than the controller (which they put on top of the motor)... but you already found that out.

Their battery packs (one of which is included in that kit) are worth looking at for a convenient complete battery package, and they do have several sizes and pack proportions, so maybe one would fit; however, they contain used Tesla modules, not their own OX modules.

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Electric GT says they have a kit for $32,000 - 120hp/174 ft lbs, 25 or 35kw battery pack. They sent me a BOM. If you want it ... DIY, it's $23k, if you want it all together it's $32k. Not exactly sure what the difference is. They sent me the parts list - Hyper 9, Tesla Battery module, GTE induction box plus billet adapters for my transmission, etc., etc. Seems legit (to my unexperienced eyes) if spendy. But I might be very unrealistic about the all in cost of such a conversion. My Willys would really move with all this in it.
I assume that the difference in price is the listed kit (DIY) versus everything you would actually need (including a mounting plate for the motor and their clutch kit, which has an adapter for the shaft plus a flywheel and clutch). I agree that is seems both legitimate and expensive, although perhaps not a lot more expensive than a conversion using all new parts which you assemble yourself. The Tesla modules will presumably be used.

What did they say is a "GTE induction box"?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There's very little detail on their web site and very little forthcoming from the guy responding to me via email so I don't know what components actually are. And there's no installation guide or video available to get some idea of what's involved. I believe the system I am looking is the e-173 kit. It will fit. People put V8s in Willys all the time. And it comes with an adapter plate for the transmission - which is interesting - I assume they'd have to actually make one for me, I don't think anyone has done a conversion on a willys yet. There's going to be a fair bit of fab involved including new suspension, new steering, and major change to the brakes. So, I recognize that.

My last questions was how many have they sold. I searched trying to find anyone posting anything about installing an Electric GT system and couldn't find anything. I have a feeling this is brand, brand new. I have being a Guinea pig.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would second the post warning about EV West.

Ordered a bunch of parts, motor/controller, and, the ever important, adapter plate (they said they've done my car/motor combo and had the specs needed). This was back in Feb.

To be fair, I got everything, except the adapter plate after 5 months. Yes, Covid-19 likely slowed things down.

It's now been 9 months, no adapter. Was told they have orders to complete earlier than mine. (!) Asked and am waiting for a refund on it.

I ordered, instead, from Electric GT, but can't say anything yet as, obviously, it's too early.

FYi, I live in the OC, so these guys are both close.

·
Registered
598 Posts
What's your expected budget? The motor is the fun purchase, but the batteries are what matter more (though the later you buy them, the better...prices are still coming down for OEM stuff). There are also lots of ancillaries that you may or may not need (charger, BMS, DC/DC converter).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for all the information that's very helpful. I'm emailing Adam. The thing I like about the electricGT system is that they sell a unit that's assembled and tested and I install as a unit - as opposed to lots and lots of parts that I have to figure out how to get in the Willys. I hate to admit it, but there's enough fab to be done as it is, that I'm willing to pay to reduce the complexity of the conversion.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I can certainly appreciate preferring parts cost over fab cost...Just for some perspective: A running, driving Nissan Leaf is $6-8k, and you can use (at the very least) the motor, inverter, batteries, contactors, throttle pedal, and radiator. Figure Maybe $3k worth of stuff from Thunderstruck, and maybe $1-2k for a transmission adapter plate.

Electric GT seems to make good stuff, but last I checked they wanted $15k for the motor stack alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Electric GT is definitely maximum price for minimum fuss. Tearing down a nissan leaf is a little intimidating for me since I have no familiarity with the parts I'd need.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts