DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am well into my project converting the 1986 Honda City - Here in NZ we have to get the car certified by a certifier and the work done needs to comply with a set of regulations
https://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/standards/LVVTA_STD_Electric_and_Hybrid_Vehicles.pdf

I found it in some cases confusing and a nonsense - but there is no getting around the rules so I am doing my best to get help from the organisation. it is very nerve racking because I have to pay up to $1000 for the certifier to pass my inspection and his interpretation of the rules might be different to the information I have been given by the only person who will correspond with me and answer my questions.

It is no wonder no one in this country will do a conversion - I suppose there are some who have done it and some trying but not one has responded to me on the forum set up by the LVVTA (Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association) -

anyway if there is anyone out there who knows someone in New Zealand that has successfully certified a converted car please get in touch I would love to here from you. (ps I am living in Christchurch)

·
Administrator
6,157 Posts
I'm in Gore
I certified my DIY Roadster in 2013 - I believe that Roy McDonald in Dunedin is the only certifier on the Mainland

Send me a PM and I'll give you my number if you want a chat

The Certification process here is actually very sensible - it was set up by the New Zealand Hot Rod Association

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

Try Steve Burke in Waipara just north of Christchurch
He converted several cars and got them certified

He will be able to help you further

Good luck

hansje

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that - I cant seem to find him on line anywhere, do you know anything more about him that might help???

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that - I cant seem to find any Steve Burke in Waipara any idea where I might be able to track him down?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts