DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The flat 6 in a unimog produces 142 Kw or 190HP and 610 NM torque. What sort of elctric motor will match that. Or maybe a combination of motors?

Gazz

·
Registered
307 Posts
The flat 6 in a unimog produces 142 Kw or 190HP and 610 NM torque. What sort of elctric motor will match that. Or maybe a combination of motors?

Gazz
What do you want to do, and how fast do you want to do it?

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
307 Posts
That's very vague. Are you using it as a truck or a tractor? How far/long does it need to go? Unimogs are used for all kinds of tasks from log trucks, snow plows, trailer pulling or mobile powerstations by way of PTOs and hydraulic outputs.

There are plenty of electric motors that can get the job done for you. But that is not where the power really comes from. Consider the motor an extension of a transmission. The actual power is produced by the battery pack.

Let us know what you want/need to do. The first thing to figure out is the battery pack, then the motor(s).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's very vague. Are you using it as a truck or a tractor? How far/long does it need to go? Unimogs are used for all kinds of tasks from log trucks, snow plows, trailer pulling or mobile powerstations by way of PTOs and hydraulic outputs.

There are plenty of electric motors that can get the job done for you. But that is not where the power really comes from. Consider the motor an extension of a transmission. The actual power is produced by the battery pack.

Let us know what you want/need to do. The first thing to figure out is the battery pack, then the motor(s).

I am thinking of building an RV type arrangement using a unimog flatbed truck, removing the motor, fuel system and tanks and using the existing drive train but running it all with electric motor (s). I thinking a li ion battery system augmented by solar pannels across most of the roof to top up the battery bank.
Gary

·
Registered
307 Posts
Now, were getting somewhere. What do you expect the final weight to be and what are you looking for with range?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, were getting somewhere. What do you expect the final weight to be and what are you looking for with range?

realistically about nine ton overall weight. The truck is about eight ton with a diesel configuration. The range about 1500Ks with a mounted diesel generator as a back up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't recommend this conversion for a first timer. 1,500km on battery alone is currently impossible. Traveling at highway speeds with this weight will take over 100hp (75KW) on flat ground.

General rule of thumb for cars when planning batteries for range is 100Wh per 1000lbs per mile. Nine tons is 18,000lbs, so at least 1,800Wh per mile. A Km is 0.62 miles, so 1116Wh/Km. Your range of 1500km would require a minimum of 1674KWh of energy. A used Nissan Leaf battery pack is approximately 20KWh and sells for about $5,000 US. You would need 84 of those battery packs for a cost of $418,500 US.

If you go minimum on your battery pack, and depend on the generator you will add weight and complexity. A standalone Generac 80KW genset weighs 2,425lbs (1,100kg) without the fuel tank or enclosure. The primary traction motor to sustain highway speeds would exceed 200Kg and a single Leaf battery pack would weigh similar to the motor.

You can't do much to change the weight of this vehicle, but if you adjust your range goal down a lot, we might be able to help you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't recommend this conversion for a first timer. 1,500km on battery alone is currently impossible. Traveling at highway speeds with this weight will take over 100hp (75KW) on flat ground.

General rule of thumb for cars when planning batteries for range is 100Wh per 1000lbs per mile. Nine tons is 18,000lbs, so at least 1,800Wh per mile. A Km is 0.62 miles, so 1116Wh/Km. Your range of 1500km would require a minimum of 1674KWh of energy. A used Nissan Leaf battery pack is approximately 20KWh and sells for about $5,000 US. You would need 84 of those battery packs for a cost of $418,500 US.

If you go minimum on your battery pack, and depend on the generator you will add weight and complexity. A standalone Generac 80KW genset weighs 2,425lbs (1,100kg) without the fuel tank or enclosure. The primary traction motor to sustain highway speeds would exceed 200Kg and a single Leaf battery pack would weigh similar to the motor.

You can't do much to change the weight of this vehicle, but if you adjust your range goal down a lot, we might be able to help you.

I think I will look for a light truck to reduce the amount of power required.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello guys, how are you all? Well, this thread has a couple of years old and i would like to bring this question back to life. I have in mind a project to convert an unimog to 100% electric, no so powerfull, it is used to transport people in a dirt road, 15 mph topsped, no hills.
So, i would like to read your expert opinions and suggestions fot the motor and controller for a project like this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
How far will you need to travel before charge ups?

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk. -Yeah, a BlackBerry.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi jwiger, thanks for your answer. I estimate that the maximum distance for this unimog will be 37 miles, but i think the mog have to got enought juice for 50 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts