DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am new to this forum and I am amazed with all the info gathered in on place..

I would like to convert my e36 1.6 to electric...
For now I am just gathering info but I am getting more irritated each day by terrible fuel consumption and low performance of the car. I followed Robert Murray Smith on YouTube for a while and he got supercaps pretty neat capacity. Even if I had only 50-100 kilometers of range I would go for it. For a motor I was thinking about BLDC but seems like there is lack of high performance controllers. But it would be the best choice since I want big torque top speed at some reasonable numbers. Acceleration is really what I am interested in.

Can someone please tell me if it's realistic?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if you do a search on this forum you would find many discussions of this supercap or ultracap topic. They might work on a drag bike with a 10 second burn time, but not in anything to drive on the road.

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106906&highlight=supercapacitors
Sure but thats without considering custom Made graphene supercaps with much higher capacity Robert Murray-Smith is making... As i said even 50km is enough in Exchange for fast charging and almost infinite lifetime... Also all i want is to win drag races.. So what motor do i choose? I have an old forklift motor with 24kw at 22v... I dont know any further info od the motor.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
all i want is to win drag races.. So what motor do i choose? I have an old forklift motor with 24kw at 22v
a 24kW motor won't win many drag races... have you been in a Nissan Leaf? That's 80kW (110 HP) and slow by most race standards (0-60 mph in 10.5 seconds).

Before choosing technologies why not define your goals? I would recommend starting with your budget... and remember, performance costs money ;)

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
For a motor I was thinking about BLDC but seems like there is lack of high performance controllers. But it would be the best choice since I want big torque top speed at some reasonable numbers. Acceleration is really what I am interested in.
I've never heard of a motor described as BLDC (brushless DC) which has enough power output to impressively accelerate a ton and a half of car. Usually an AC synchronous motor with a permanent magnet rotor is called a PM AC motor in larger sizes, and an AC motor with an induction rotor is just called an induction motor; if you want to start an intense debate, ask what the difference is between BLDC and PMAC...

I agree that for high performance with high efficiency, PM AC is the most effective solution, and induction works, too. With a modest budget, that means salvaging a motor from a wrecked production EV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never heard of a motor described as BLDC (brushless DC) which has enough power output to impressively accelerate a ton and a half of car. Usually an AC synchronous motor with a permanent magnet rotor is called a PM AC motor in larger sizes, and an AC motor with an induction rotor is just called an induction motor; if you want to start an intense debate, ask what the difference is between BLDC and PMAC...

I agree that for high performance with high efficiency, PM AC is the most effective solution, and induction works, too. With a modest budget, that means salvaging a motor from a wrecked production EV.
Well for example Rimac uses bldc and it has pretty good acceleration..

·
Registered
6,524 Posts
Well for example Rimac uses bldc and it has pretty good acceleration..
As I suspected, this is just a misunderstanding of terminology...

Rimac - like all makers of production EVs and hybrids - uses brushless motors. A Rimac prototype's power source is a battery, which is inherently DC, so like all battery-electric vehicles the combination of controller/inverter and motor could be considered "DC" because the input is DC. So, you can call Rimac's motor and controller system "BLDC" if you want, but few in the automotive industry will understand this term to have a meaning which would include Rimac's motors.

More specifically, Rimac and all current manufacturers of production EVs use three-phase AC motors. The exact term used in Rimac's literature is "Internal Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor". Like almost all of them (Tesla's legacy models being the notable exception) these are synchronous motors with permanent magnet rotors; the "internal" term describes the placement of the magnets in the rotor.

Rimac links:
Overview
Details

So, as I said:
I agree that for high performance with high efficiency, PM AC is the most effective solution...
This is also the most expensive type of motor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts