DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Ginetta is a British sports car manufacturer founded in 1958. Their latest model is the G50 which is available as ICE or pure BEV. http://ginettacars.co.uk/roadcar_range.php Update: Unfortunately the G50EV has been ditched due to lack of government funding. One running prototype exists that I have made several attempts to buy.

The G15 was made from 1968 until 1974. Mine is a 1973 model. It weighs only 1176 lbs dry and features a galvanized steel frame and fiberglass body. It's a longitudinal rear engine, rear wheel drive two seater.

I'm going to replace the 998 cc engine and transaxle unit with a single speed, transverse mounted unit from a 2001 Th!nk City EV. The Th!nk motor is an AC induction type rated 17 kW continuous. It can pull the 2115 lbs Th!nk at 56 MPH and does 0 - 30 MPH in 7 seconds. The drive train swap will save about 64 lbs.

I plan to use 44 pieces 90Ah ThunderSky LiFePO4 cells which weigh 310 lbs. The total weight will be within the max allowed. But there will be no passenger seat, spare wheel or luggage allowance.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
The G15 was made from 1968 until 1974. Mine is a 1973 model. It weighs only 1176 lbs dry
what a gorgeous car!

you are probably making the right choice to go with Li on this one for the weight, and getting the volts up as high as you can.... But the AC motor seems to add a lot of cost for not much benefit unless you do a LOT of stop and go driving. You might get better performance with far less complexity with an 8" or 9" DC motor.
[/quote]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you, Dan, on behalf of the four Walklett brothers who ingeneered and designed the G15.

I got the drive train off a wrecked Th!nk, so it was very affordable. I've seen too many burnt commutators and worn out brushes to settle for a DC motor. I've had the drive train for a year and a half and have been looking for the right donor car. The Th!nk City's performance is adequate, loosing about 500 pounds weight will improve acceleration somewhat, but the top speed is electronically limited. I haven't found a way to unlock it yet. A bit taller tires will help.

I don't agree about complexity, I just fit the boxes and connect the half shafts and cables. It don't matter whether AC or DC current flows to the motor.

The NiCd battery I'm used to takes 100% discharge well. I've got about 1700 cycles by now and capacity is 5% above the given 100Ah(C/3) at about 1C. ThunderSky's data says 3000 cycles to 70% and 2000 cycles to 80% DOD, so usable range will probably be shorter than Th!nk's 60 miles.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Wow!!! 120mph with just 3 batteries and a single charge. What technology are we missing with 10-12 batteries pack?
This can certainly not imply three 8 or 12 volt batteries, more likely the batteries are mounted in three different places on the G50 EV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts