DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Coolant Loop Design

2504 Views 26 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  oudevolvo
I'm working on designing my cooling loop. The idea is to control flow via two solenoids to control flow to the original heater core when cold, and to the batteries to warm them on cold days, or bypass these for ordinary cooling. The "battery valve" in the diagram is a 2 way solenoid driven switch, sourcing coolant either from the coolant heater path or not, depending on whether the battery is below ideal temp. Here is a quick, dirty, terrible diagram. My question is am I off base, #1, and #2, what solutions are out there for the coolant heater I've indicated with a question mark below.

White Light Product Font Line
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5,359 Posts
No

I'm observing that the heat energy taken from your HV battery to run the coolant heater, in your diagram, has to go through the radiator when it's January in Chippewa Falls.

It's your loop design. I'm just providing the feedback you requested under #1.

· Registered
5,359 Posts
I didn't say you needed proportional...you inferred you had it.

I merely stated you need to adjust the flow (is this why you used "flow" charts? 😂) between the two parallel paths or the lower flow impedance path may hog most of the coolant flow when you don't want it to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.