DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Coolant Loop Design

2528 Views 26 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  oudevolvo
I'm working on designing my cooling loop. The idea is to control flow via two solenoids to control flow to the original heater core when cold, and to the batteries to warm them on cold days, or bypass these for ordinary cooling. The "battery valve" in the diagram is a 2 way solenoid driven switch, sourcing coolant either from the coolant heater path or not, depending on whether the battery is below ideal temp. Here is a quick, dirty, terrible diagram. My question is am I off base, #1, and #2, what solutions are out there for the coolant heater I've indicated with a question mark below.

White Light Product Font Line
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah, the pot is probably there for stop/start and fault detection. Cheap DC motor run in different polarity for forward/back. Didn't see a spring but it could have been under the valve gear, so maybe it's "latching" rather than NC or NO. I'd prefer one that would fail into a known position for my build, but <shrug>.

· Registered
995 Posts
remy wrote: "Looks like a potentiometer. So there should be a feedback pin, and then a way to forward/reverse the motor".

I hadn't thought of the pot potential(sorry). The valve, from what I understand, controls coolant flow in and out of a thermos that stores hot coolant to aid in rapid warm-up of the gas engine. Also,this apparently provide some cabin heat with the engine off, reduces emissions, engine wear, sludge build-up in the crankcase, etc. Hey, it's an ICE thing! The motor drive along with some kind of position sensor(pot or otherwise) implies some kind of proportional control.
brian, we need a deep dive into this!

· Registered
271 Posts
Unfortunately I have trouble understanding your diagrams, both the early ones and the one in post #9.
What I'd suggest is to start with drawing separate diagrams.
What is the loop when:
  • Battery cold
  • Battery hot
And then build from there.
And perhaps my blogpost about what we can learn and use from Tesla is helpful

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.