DIY Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yeah, the pot is probably there for stop/start and fault detection. Cheap DC motor run in different polarity for forward/back. Didn't see a spring but it could have been under the valve gear, so maybe it's "latching" rather than NC or NO. I'd prefer one that would fail into a known position for my build, but <shrug>.

·
Registered
883 Posts
remy wrote: "Looks like a potentiometer. So there should be a feedback pin, and then a way to forward/reverse the motor".

I hadn't thought of the pot potential(sorry). The valve, from what I understand, controls coolant flow in and out of a thermos that stores hot coolant to aid in rapid warm-up of the gas engine. Also,this apparently provide some cabin heat with the engine off, reduces emissions, engine wear, sludge build-up in the crankcase, etc. Hey, it's an ICE thing! The motor drive along with some kind of position sensor(pot or otherwise) implies some kind of proportional control.
brian, we need a deep dive into this!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I believe the Tesla valves also use a "feedback" pin on their connector. Being "5 years ahead of everybody in technology" means an old Prius wouldn't have done the same thing 😂

No doubt, Brian would know.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Unfortunately I have trouble understanding your diagrams, both the early ones and the one in post #9.
What I'd suggest is to start with drawing separate diagrams.
What is the loop when:
  • Battery cold
  • Battery hot
And then build from there.
And perhaps my blogpost about what we can learn and use from Tesla is helpful

21 - 27 of 27 Posts