DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know a good spot to get some thick plates of copper that I can cut up and use to connect my batteries together?

I am looking for something like a sheet that's 1/8 to 1/4'' thick, and I can cut short strips to connect the terminals of my batteries since they're so close together. Cutting and crimping 2/0 cable for such a short run seems a lot more convoluted than a 2" piece that screws onto the terminals.

If you have any links, let me know

·
Administrator
6,117 Posts
Anyone know a good spot to get some thick plates of copper that I can cut up and use to connect my batteries together?

I am looking for something like a sheet that's 1/8 to 1/4'' thick, and I can cut short strips to connect the terminals of my batteries since they're so close together. Cutting and crimping 2/0 cable for such a short run seems a lot more convoluted than a 2" piece that screws onto the terminals.

If you have any links, let me know
I would suggest NOT using thick copper
Do what the OEM's do use thin copper sheet - but several layers so rather than a single thick and awkward plate you have five or six layers

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
I would suggest NOT using thick copper
Do what the OEM's do use thin copper sheet - but several layers so rather than a single thick and awkward plate you have five or six layers
The laminated connector is better than the thick solid. The ground strap type is nice for spacing tolerance and vibration.

I put a hump in there for a bit of give and take.

major

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Oh wow major those options look ideal, where did you get a hold of those?
And thanks everyone else for your input, hopefully I can source something soon.
The top one was supplied with the old Thundersky cells, for additional cost. Second is Flexbus product (Erico Co, IIRC) which I punched and formed. Third, I made from Flexbus elements from with a hand press and die I made. Forth, or at bottom, is braided tinned copper ground strap custom made. I forget where I got it. Maybe from old contactor. I think Jack sells them, EVTV.com I think. http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=braidedstrap50mm

major

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try your local metal recycler. You can usually buy copper and brass by weight. It's probably as cheap as it gets... unless you know a plumber who will give you scraps of copper pipe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've used 1/4" x 1" copper busbar remnants purchased on Ebay (you have to drill your own holes). People will sell 6" or 8" lengths that are leftovers from larger projects for only slightly more than the scrap value of copper.

(Of course, the solid bars do not have any give like the bent laminates above, so you have to make sure your batteries are not flexing around or they will tear the terminals out. (I have 6 modules compressed in a solid "battery" and use busbars between the terminals internally, but use flexible 2/0 wire between "battery" modules.)

Or you could buy Nissan Leaf bussbars directly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Nissan-Leaf-Battery-G1-and-G2-2-busbar-Lot-of-50/123688018447?hash=item1ccc61620f:g:U74AAOSwbmFciBz-
Jay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Take a look at McMaster Carr, https://www.mcmaster.com/, and put Copper in the search box. From there look at the results in the column on the left - then click on + Copper Products at the bottom of the list. You'll find all sorts of copper sheet and rods and tubing and pipe and so much more.
Also try Copper Buss Bar in the search box.

They're a great supplier and I use them all the time. Their prices are very reasonable, and we receive orders then next day.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you use copper plumbing pipe you may want to anneal it. Heat it dull red (with inside lighting) and let cool naturally. You will have to remove the oxide at the contact points(Scotchbrite) but it will flatten much easier, without cracking. Unless you have punch, I would drill the holes in the pipe first. Easier to hold on to and safer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you are going racing or looking for ultimate performance, get Oxygen free copper. (C101) It has higher conductivity and the bars can be lighter. It is expensive though. If you can find scrap Cryogenic equipment, safe bet it is Oxygen free.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you use copper plumbing pipe you may want to anneal it. Heat it dull red (with inside lighting) and let cool naturally.
Steel needs to be cooled slowly to anneal. With copper, there's no need. Heat it red and then quench it. It'll be softer than if you let it cool slowly, and, it's fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts