DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, sorry if this is the wrong board for this topic but I'm not sure where to post. My dad has three vw beetles and two volvo 240's. He told me I could pick one to convert. But after reading up on EV conversions it seems te be expensive. What vehicle would be cheapest to convert? I watched a video on youtube about the 'true costs' of converting and the estimate was around €15000~€25000. Are these numbers accurate?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, that is expensive I agree. For that money you should be able to do a lot, and more.

It seems to me that the quicker you want it up and running the more expensive it is. On the other hand if you are willing to source a used motor and or possibly rewind it, build your own controller etc. you will at least half that figure.

I have come to the conclusion that the more time learning, and studying etc. the cheaper it becomes and also strangely more enjoyable.

I have a family and kids and couldn't justify that, much as I would love to. On a personal and financial level I'm for the latter. The conversion dream is at present a hobby (Abeit a rather obsessive one). But I am loving it (In between golf, soccer and cycling)

Hope this rant helps.

SDEV

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both cars have been converted in the Netherlands. Although there are differences between the cars, I believe the costs do not depend too much on the one you choose.
Majority of this 15 to 25K is generic EV parts such as batteries, motor, battery management system, etcetera.
The RDW inspection is quite strict and you need to comply to all kinds of EMC regulations. That restricts the number of options you have in terms of components to be used.
I’d too suggest to contact New Electric. That’s where I bought my kit to convert my 1967 Volvo Amazon wagon.

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
Hi Bart
Your best bet would be to get a crashed Leaf and take all of the EV bits out

If you use all of it you may well be able to get through your inspection regime

You may end up with effectively a re-bodied Leaf - rather than a modified VW or Volvo
Or at least that may be the way to get it through certification

What would a Leaf with bodywork damage cost? - 4000?? - 6000?

That could be the main money you spend

·
Administrator
6,137 Posts
in The Netherlands this will require retesting for EMC because the end user will be unable to provide the certificates for the components that are being used.
That is true if you electrify your VW or Volvo

However if you VW-ify your Leaf you MAY be able to avoid that problem as you will not be changing the electrical bit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts