DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why you couldn't link 2 motorcycle forks together and use counter steering to steer and lean into a corner at speed? Gotta admit I've never seen it, there's probably a logical explanation I just don't know it.:confused:

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
It'll work in the same way as any free leaning reverse trike.

However, the trike will need to be free leaning so that it can 'move' in the same way as a bike.
So, likewise you will need to have a means to stop the trike falling over when stationary, either your feet if not enclosed or automatic stabilisers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It'll work in the same way as any free leaning reverse trike.

However, the trike will need to be free leaning so that it can 'move' in the same way as a bike.
So, likewise you will need to have a means to stop the trike falling over when stationary, either your feet if not enclosed or automatic stabilisers.
Wow, are you saying I've just figured out an easy way to building a 2 wheel steering/leaning front end without all the "complex physics"-oops I mean geometry:D! of linkages, plates and rose joints;)
I know I'll have to link the forks together to steer and lean together but I can handle that!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I believe the Dodge Tomahawk motorcycle used something like that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah but if you're talking about that bike with the V10 it couldn't turn at all, that's what I read.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Yeah but if you're talking about that bike with the V10 it couldn't turn at all, that's what I read.
That tells you someting doesn't it.

I think I remember seeing it ridden it was pretty clumsy.

Maybe with a wider spread it would work better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Remember that you have 2 points of contact on the road not just the one that a motorcycle has. A motorcycle leans either side of its one wheel longitudinal axis. If you have 2 wheels spaced apart you'd need to ride up on one ot get the trike to roll. At best you'll get the wheels to lean over, but never the whole trike.

Sorry, it's back to the complicated arms, pushrods, rose joints and plates.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts