DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a coupler. B face 1 1/8" key way interference fit, to a Subaru input shaft 1" 24 spline.

·
Super Moderator
1,351 Posts
You will almost certainly have to weld one of each together, or machine it yourself.

There's probably too many combinations of things for that to be off the shelf.

If you can't even find the halves of those, call a transmission shop or a tractor supply shop and ask if they have anything similar. Their first question is going to be "What vehicle?".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I asked EV west and they strongly recommended retaining my clutch so I'm going to scratch the coupler idea. The offer a full kit for the 818 which works on Subaru's. Same transmission.

·
Super Moderator
1,351 Posts
EV West have been selling garbage lately and then either not responding to emails or making you diagnose things they sold to you already broken. I'd personally avoid doing business with them. It's a shame, they used to be viewed quite highly by many.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As a business, especially in the days of Covid, I'd be surprised if they shipped stuff they knew was broken. In my dealings with them, and that was about two months ago, they were courteous, informative, and actually steered me away from a product they had listed on their website.

Their recent Bonneville streamliner build was also pretty freaking impressive, which they openly shared the construction of (as much as their sponsor would allow).

What specifically should we steer clear of, Matt?

·
Super Moderator
1,351 Posts
I'd be surprised if they shipped stuff they knew was broken.
That they knew was garbage? Probably not.

But they've been selling things that they picked up at auction that they didn't test, that are broken, and then making the customer spend their time and effort troubleshooting and repairing them, and then meanwhile ignoring all calls and emails from said customer for weeks.

Not just one fluke, but, every item they sold a customer recently.

Judging by them both selling broken items and then ignoring customers who call about fixing, returning or repairing those items, I'd say specifically steer clear of EV West in general. They are not acting with integrity across the board.

Here's one example from the community: Electric Supercar

Starts with batteries, goes onto a faulty inverter. They had him spend a day swapping out for gold pins as their suggested repair, and then when that didn't work, have ignored him for going on 3 months now. Which is especially troubling considering that the above conversations seem to have happened within the last month, meaning they're not too busy to answer calls and emails about making more money, they're specifically avoiding customers that have problems with faulty products they sold.

He sends about 2 emails a week, 8 over the last month. No reply.

He's left 2 voicemails. No reply.

He's spoken to reception and left messages with a human. Twice. No reply.

It's that, or Snowdog is making the whole thing up, which, judging by his overly genial, open, and generous character, I'd say is far less likely.

This is the 2nd or 3rd customer this year I've heard having serious quality and communication/accountability issues with EV West.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As a business, especially in the days of Covid, I'd be surprised if they shipped stuff they knew was broken. In my dealings with them, and that was about two months ago, they were courteous, informative, and actually steered me away from a product they had listed on their website.

Their recent Bonneville streamliner build was also pretty freaking impressive, which they openly shared the construction of (as much as their sponsor would allow).

Funny you mention that. I initially emailed them on the AC50 kit for my trucks, they replied along the lines of " you don't want that, it's underpowered". And recommended the Tesla motors. Then I said ok, how about a Hyper9 and the CALB 180's. Similar response, along the lines of "those batteries suck". So I don't know if they are just really trying to upsell, or if they are ok with not liking 90% of there web listings. Granted the Tesla motors and batteries probably are the best and maybe they are just wanting me to be happy knowing that my daily is a 500ho go-kart. But these kits aren't for me, just trying to find a simple DIY kit to spec into my kits for end users to be happy. I'm looking for like marginal performance, 120-150mile range and as coat effective as possible.
I'm still learning towards the Hyper9 and 6-7 Tesla 24v packs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts