DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First task was getting my parents permission to make the conversion. OK permission granted.
Next get air in the tires. Still working on that. One rear tire is half off the rim right around 20kWh
Then I can move it inside the barn. Remove the gas engine, the hood, Photograph each item needed to be remove in order for the body to be removed. paying close attention to the forward and reverse linkages , remove the rest of the body, gas tank and Battery.
Jack up the transaxle, hopefully I will be able to Test the transaxle while it is still installed in the frame. Would be a shame if the transaxle is in need of repair. Anything rusted will be cleaned up as much as possible.
Once I determine if the transaxle is good or not. If I need to get a new /used transaxle, start pricing the transaxles. Look for donor LTs on craigslist, FB marketplace, garage sales. If the transaxle is no good I might try to get a heavier transaxle.
Once I know the transaxle is good I will start assembling the battery I need to decide on a voltage. But thought I if I go with 48v I would make 2 7s160p if 72v 2 10s112p if 96v 2 14s80p to keep the voltage mangeable the battery packs would be removable but could be made permanent. Right around 20kWh
Later floyd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The motors I bought Tennant Nobles B10 motor, ELE 24-72VDC 3300 RPM 9.42HP, 35lbs 16kg and an IMPERIAL 36VDC 2000 RPM 2.5HP 70 A PM P66SR381(MARS?) (25lbs 11.35kg) arrived today. One thing I hadn't realizied was that o the Tennant motor the positive connection was broke off. clean to the nut against the motor. Can i use an easy out to remove the broken stud and replace it with another stud? Or will I have to open the motor up to replace it?
Later floyd

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Looks to be fairly simple four screws on cover Then four more screws on the inside That should allow access to the positive terminal. Probably more complex than that. Removed the cover for a quick peek inside. Other than being dusty and the broken terminal it looks great. I should have taken a pic but was more concerned about just taking a look and I forgot. Depending on which parts diagram for this motor I look at The brush cap comes ina complete unit with terminals, and the brushes are available separately. Didn't find the terminals avaiable separately yet. looks like it is a 1/4" brass coarse thread stud about 1.5 inches 38mm long.
(edit)Took the motors out to mom and dads (where the LT is) tested both batteries with a 12v LIFePo4 jumper box both work run smooth. Hopefully I can remove the engine from the LT next week. Maybe move the LT inside the barn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts