DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I need some expertise here. I'm about to jump into the DIY EV world with the purchase of a 1980 Datsun 310 EV. There was a short run of these cars made when the clean air act passed. The last owner did a lot of body modifications, but I don't think they updated the powertrain.

So, the first thing I'm looking to do is to update the batteries. I'm in the East Bay, CA so I looked for used batteries on Craigslist, and I found these:
AESC Lithium 48V 3kWh level2 EV mobile charger solar battery...

The car, as configured has 9 12V lead-acid batteries (108V).
It's using a 22HP 7.2 brushed DC prestolite motor.

I'm a total noob here, so I'm not sure how to evaluate the quality of these used Lithium batteries. I would really appreciate it if someone could have a quick look for red flags.

Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If the guy is willing to load test them, then they are probably legit. I am not sure what to make of the "High tech company projects" part, but if the batteries were never used in very high load applications and they still test okay, they will probably do well for you. The price is not bad at 200$/kwh, If you can find stuff out of a crashed EV it might be a bit cheaper, but you wont really get any assurances that the modules are still good. I bought a pack that was untested, and it is completely fine - I have not heard of anyone getting burned on used batteries.

The early leaf cells were notorious for degradation, but I am no expert on that battery type.

·
Registered
173 Posts
If the guy is willing to load test them, then they are probably legit. I am not sure what to make of the "High tech company projects" part, but if the batteries were never used in very high load applications and they still test okay, they will probably do well for you. The price is not bad at 200$/kwh, If you can find stuff out of a crashed EV it might be a bit cheaper, but you wont really get any assurances that the modules are still good. I bought a pack that was untested, and it is completely fine - I have not heard of anyone getting burned on used batteries.

The early leaf cells were notorious for degradation, but I am no expert on that battery type.
Tesla modules have fallen to be under $200/kWh recently.

Wescott, I would get those instead.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tesla over Leaf cells. However 20kw will get the little 310 a long way. I suspect a 2,600 ish pound vehicle. Maybe less. If my math is correct that is 4k dollars for 20 kwh. A bargain. BMS will be more. I'd go that way however with Nissan Leafs so cheap used unless you want a project....beware.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a similar lead acid set up. Lead is just inferior to Lithium, BUT it's a lot cheaper. If your setup is functional you'll find your least cost option to be replacing the lead batteries. If a 30-50 mile range works for you, it's an easy solution.
If you go lithium, find used EV batteries. They're designed for what you want to do. Unless you've got some experience, get your batteries from a reputable source like HSR instead of Craigslist. Don't run any lithium without a BMS. The Tesla S modules are a little hard to fit because of their form, but they are by far and away the best designed and built used EV batteries you can get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts