DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jumping head first into an EV build and wanted to share the research I've done with others as well as open it up for any edits/recommendations. I went through and tried to capture all the current commercial options available for Tesla drivetrains.

I'm leaning toward the opensource route myself because of cost, customizability, and longterm flexibility, but each option seems to have it's merit.

1. Open Source (Ebay + EVBMW)
    • Control Method: EVBMW PCB
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $4,140*
    • Total Price (Base Drive + Quaife): $6,140*
    • Total Price (Performance Drive): $5,140*
    • Total Price (Performance Drive + Quaife): $7,140*
    • Includes:
      • Damien Logic board: $739.20 shipped
      • Used Tesla drive unit (Base): $3,000 shipped
      • Used Tesla drive unit (Performance): $4,000 shipped e46 Pedal: $100
      • Low voltage wiring/miscellaneous: $200
      • Optional Quaife Differential: $2,000
    • Comments: This options requires you to do quite a bit of research on your own and support is provided by the Openinverter forum. It isn't plug and play out of the box. Prices estimated based on Ebay auctions September 2019.

If you get into a jam Damien offers paid support in a few forms - single email (€10), 30 minute support call (€60), or a full day (
      €450).

2. HSR Motors (057 Technologies)
    • Control Method: Outside controller talking to Tesla board
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $7,999
    • Total Price (Base Drive + Quaife):
    • Total Price (Performance Drive): $10,999
    • Total Price (Performance Drive + Quaife):
    • Includes:
      • (1) Large Tesla Drive Unit - BASE (refurbished)
      • (1) 057 Technology Drive Unit Controller
      • (1) Accelerator Pedal (Dual hall-effect)
      • (1) Basic low-voltage wiring (controller, motor, pedal, etc)
      • (1) High-voltage wires with connections for drive unit
      • (1) Instructions, pinouts, protocols for controller, etc
    • Comments:
  3. EV Controls
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $6,799*
    • Total Price (Base Drive + Quaife): $8,799*
    • Total Price (Performance Drive): $7,799*
    • Total Price (Performance Drive + Quaife): $9,799*
    • Includes:
      The EV Controls T-1C Controller that communicates with the inverter over the CAN bus, and will allow you to do the following;
      • -Engage drive, neutral and reverse modes via the 7″ touchscreen,
      • -Adjust peak power output and regenerative braking power levels via the touchscreen,
      • -Display the following data on the 7″ touchscreen;
      • -Drive mode (D, N ,R)
      • -Traction pack voltage (HV)
      • -Inverter 12V supply voltage
      • -Accelerator position
      • -Stator current
      • -Actual power in kilowatts, positive or negative (regenerative braking)
      • -Max power limit
      • -Max regen power limit
      • -Five internal inverter temperature readings
      • -Vehicle speed (user adjustable scaling to account for wheel diameter)
      • -Current brake pedal and regen state
      • -Diagnostic data.
      $3499 for everything listed above.
    • Comments: Requires pedal and low voltage wiring added to the price.

I don't see customizability to other gauges so I believe you need to be satisfied with the 7"" screen output.

Limited to S-85 and P-85 drive units
  4. Stealth EV
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $7,800
    • Total Price (Performance Drive):
    • Includes: Tesla Base Rear Drive Unit: Drive units removed from Tesla Model S and Model X vehicles with less than 25,000 Miles. Each drive unit houses an AC induction propulsion 3-Phase/4-Pole motor that can spin up to 16,000 RPM in large drive units and 18,000 RPM in low power and front drive units. The housing also includes the controller w/ Inverter and differential. Each drive unit comes with our own Stealth EV Controller Board replacement that allows for CANbus communication with any BMS, VCU, Hall Throttle, and switchgear. Wi-Fi access also comes standard for “in the field” or “on the fly” controller adjustments, no longer requiring USB connectivity or proprietary equipment.
    • Comments: Appears to be a drive unit with the EVBMW (Damien's) board installed. Requires pedal and low voltage wiring added to the price.
  5. Zero EV
    • Control Method: Replacement PCB - based on EVBMW but further customized by Zero EV
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $12,159
    • Total Price (Base Drive + Quaife): $13,509
    • Total Price (Performance Drive): $17,086
    • Total Price (Performance Drive + Quaife): $18,436
    • Includes: Large Standard Drive Unit, Zero EV Control System, Open Diff, Drive Shaft Stumps, Display, Throttle, Gear Selector & Low Voltage Junction Box with Loom.

Options:
      • Performace Large Drive Unit 150BHP increase £3,995
      • Quaife ABT Limited Slip Diff (Highley recommended) £1095*when bought with drive unit kit.
      • Quaife Spool Locked Diff (for drif/ off road use only) £750*when bought with drive unit kit.
      • Drive Unit Coolant System Upgrade £795
    • Comments:
  6. EV West Drop in Unit
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $11,900
    • Includes: Includes: Tesla motor, inverter, gear box, dash display and control unit (EV Controls), throttle pedal, throttle pedal plug and pins, brake switch, brake switch plug and pins, encoder plug and pins, inverter plug and pins, axle clips, 2 axles, pre-charge relay, and pre-charge resistor.
    • Comments: Looks to be the EV Controls controller with a drive unit and all the trimmings to make it go out of the gate.

I don't see customizability to other gauges so I believe you need to be satisfied with the 7"" screen output.

Limited to S-85 and P-85 drive units
  7. EV Shop EU
    • Total Price (Base Drive): $12,165
    • Includes: This kit includes the Tesla motor, inverter, gear box, power cables and drive shafts. And, Damian’s EVBMW inverter board.
    • Comments: Looks like they are basically packaging a used drive unit with Damian's inverter board installed.
  8. EVTV.me
    • Total Price (Base Drive):
    • Total Price (Base Drive + Quaife): $16,995
    • Includes:
      • Tested and refurbished Drive Unit Motor/Inverter/Gearbox Assembly from salvaged Tesla Model S with Quaife ATB Differential installed.
      • GEVCU Controller with Tesla control software
      • Wiring harness
      • EVIC Tesla Display from Andromeda Interface
      • PKP2400 CAN Control Switch Panel for Tesla Drive Unit
      • IVTSCALE 1000Amp current/voltage sensor
      • Custom Speedhut CAN Gage set for Tesla Drive Unit
    • Comments:
*These prices estimated using ebay prices for some of the hardware to make it a more complete solution for comparison.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Two things to note:
1. the Opensource option requires you to be somewhat knowledgeable, or atleast take alot of time reading through the documentation. Support is only via the openinverter forum.

2. Zero-EV (yes i do work for them), the board is based of the Opensource design and so is the software. However it has been forked off to be further refined and additional features added.

I believe when looking at the option, the main decision needs to be; Do i want to learn how to make the Tesla motor work or do I just want to buy something that works out of the box.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two things to note:
1. the Opensource option requires you to be somewhat knowledgeable, or atleast take alot of time reading through the documentation. Support is only via the openinverter forum.

2. Zero-EV (yes i do work for them), the board is based of the Opensource design and so is the software. However it has been forked off to be further refined and additional features added.

I believe when looking at the option, the main decision needs to be; Do i want to learn how to make the Tesla motor work or do I just want to buy something that works out of the box.
Thanks for the input - I'll update the main post for future readers. I agree with your comment about the main decision and I'll add to it a bit - I think many of us choose the open source route if we plan to do more than one EV swap. If you're doing just one, the time commitment might not be worth the learning curve. Buy a sorted reliable configuration.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Coming, don't know how soon: my inexpensive ECONOMYFDU board for a basic DIY SCRAPYARD BUILD.

Get your FDU, main contactor etc. from the SCRAPYARD and replace the controller board in the FDU. I can pick from 3 FDUs on the shelf at local online scrappers.

Setup as a CANBUS system for an integral conversion approach.
Aims to uitilze low cost open source (duino) boards where possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just noticed paid consultancy services listed on the EVBMW site and added them to the list above. Prices seem very reasonable.

·
Registered
134 Posts
quick anecdote, i'm planning to go the T1-C route since it seems incredibly capable and drop-in and a p85 motor is what i wanted anyway:

i emailed them a few months ago and they ARE working on an android powered, customizable satellite display to use for your gauges
they're focusing on making it work with the tesla small (front) drive unit as well, and the model 3 motor is on their roadmap for later. Exciting stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts