DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone! Im new to the site, and wanted to introduce myself here. I work for an electric powertrain company (Zeronox inc). Feel free to add me on linked in (Tim Sargent) if youd like to follow me on there for all of our EV stuff. We focus on off road vehicles and are moving into on road as well now. We are currently developing a new powertrain and are looking at using the curtis brand controllers. I have built a test bench out with our 10KW AC induction motor, and the controller. We have purchased the 1314 programming software, and also a 1313 handheld programmer. Im looking at either sourcing the correct cable, or building one. If anyone has any information at all about the cable it would be much appreciated! thank you!
Wheel Tire Sky Truck Vehicle

·
Registered
472 Posts
It's just a Serial connection. I've made an RJ45 cable that plugs into the handheld programmer, and hooks up to the Serial pins (28,29,7) on the controller. Is your motor paired with that controller already ?

Handheld programmer should come with RJ45 to Molex MiniFit JR cable. Pin assignment on the molex is :
3 TX
1 RX
2 IO GND

on RJ45 end it's like this:

3 TX
6 RX
7 IO GND

Obviously TX/RX have to be flipped depending on which side you're looking from. If it doesn't work the first time, just flip them :D There is optional power there too, don't need it when running on batteries.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just a Serial connection. I've made an RJ45 cable that plugs into the handheld programmer, and hooks up to the Serial pins (28,29,7) on the controller. Is your motor paired with that controller already ?

Handheld programmer should come with RJ45 to Molex MiniFit JR cable. Pin assignment on the molex is :
3 TX
1 RX
2 IO GND

on RJ45 end it's like this:

3 TX
6 RX
7 IO GND

Obviously TX/RX have to be flipped depending on which side you're looking from. If it doesn't work the first time, just flip them :D There is optional power there too, don't need it when running on batteries.

Right on! Thanks for the reply. I’ll just plug the serial straight into the PC. This motor is not paired. I called Curtis and they confirmed HEPU wasn’t on their list of motors. I’m hoping we will be able to wave our magic 1314 wands and get it to recognize the PID’s somehow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Right on! Thanks for the reply. I’ll just plug the serial straight into the PC. This motor is not paired. I called Curtis and they confirmed HEPU wasn’t on their list of motors. I’m hoping we will be able to wave our magic 1314 wands and get it to recognize the PID’s somehow.
If you have a PC programming station, it should have a cable/adapter with it. You can't plug the controller into the PC serial directly - it's the TTL logic level, and I believe it's also inverted.

As for the motor, you, my friend, are entering the world of hurt. Hopefully automatic characterization will work for you, otherwise you'll be monkeying with it until the second coming of Elon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have a PC programming station, it should have a cable/adapter with it. You can't plug the controller into the PC serial directly - it's the TTL logic level, and I believe it's also inverted.

As for the motor, you, my friend, are entering the world of hurt. Hopefully automatic characterization will work for you, otherwise you'll be monkeying with it until the second coming of Elon.
Well my worst case scenario is sending the motor into Curtis for them to DYNO. I’m hoping the automatic characterization will work. Soon I’ll have the answer to this! Haha fingers crossed

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well my worst case scenario is sending the motor into Curtis for them to DYNO. I’m hoping the automatic characterization will work. Soon I’ll have the answer to this! Haha fingers crossed
Any particular reason you picked that motor ? If you were say to get an HPEVs motor kit, it would come with the same controller already paired to the motor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any particular reason you picked that motor ? If you were say to get an HPEVs motor kit, it would come with the same controller already paired to the motor.
I guess you can say were married to HEPU, the brand of this motor. These motors come on a vehicle that we sell, and at this point we have too many of them in the field to change that. We've had lots of issues with their controllers and that's why I'm looking to get this Curtis controller to workout. It would solve a lot of business solutions for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts