DIY Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
I found that the part is specific to HPEVS specs for their motors and that was direct from US Digital. So the only place to get them is from HPEVS for their motors. I have sent another request to HPEVS.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't forget hole count. I can see one more or one less hole making this insane problem.
The first problem is the warped disk, beating the shit out of the encoder, and you are worried about hole count... thats funny...

Electronic component Engineering Machine Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's 64 steps, like all the HPEVS optical I have seen.
Pete, reassemble that one and check for motor thrust play before installing a new one.
There are spring thrust washers in one or both ends of the motor inside. If this is used with a clutch make sure they are in the output end or this may happen again.

PM me and maybe we can work out a package deal.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
It's 64 steps, like all the HPEVS optical I have seen.
Pete, reassemble that one and check for motor thrust play before installing a new one.
There are spring thrust washers in one or both ends of the motor inside. If this is used with a clutch make sure they are in the output end or this may happen again.

PM me and maybe we can work out a package deal.
I would have no clue how to test for thrust springs. The motor is an AC-50 and was sold to be put into a vehicle so I would assume the HPEVS would have the spring thrust washers in the correct places so this is not an issue. So if you are meaning can I push and pull on the shaft and have it move laterally and if so how much play is there so as to not have this issue happen again, I don't know I would assume it is already to go.

What do you want for your encoder? You can private message me and we can come to an agreement. I know what HPEVS wants. They sent me an email just a short time ago.

Thanks for the help
Pete :)

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
The first problem is the warped disk, beating the shit out of the encoder, and you are worried about hole count... thats funny...

View attachment 129716
It is out and hole count affects timing relative to the shaft. How long would it take to count the holes to prevent a massive head scratch when it won't properly function? Fortunately we find they are standard. I would still count them, btdtmo

Beating the shit out of the sensor means you now have to replace it, duh.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
So the count of the disc is 64. I checked for lateral runout and found none. The shaft is solidly in place and no lateral movement. So I put it all back together and made sure the disc was centered within the sensor and no part of the disc was touching any part of the sensor. Connected it all back up and did my motor test again. Still the motor ran up to the set rpm then shut off with an encoder error and motor calibration error like I was getting before. So with that I will pretty much say the encoder sensor is toast. The motor spins smoothly in the test until it shuts the test off but just using the throttle to spin the motor it does its weird thing like it did before with the other controller. I even reversed the encoder but that made no change here. Best case is the encoder sensor is toast. So until I get the parts I need this part of the project is at a stand still.

·
Registered
170 Posts
It is out and hole count affects timing relative to the shaft. How long would it take to count the holes to prevent a massive head scratch when it won't properly function? Fortunately we find they are standard. I would still count them, btdtmo

Beating the shit out of the sensor means you now have to replace it, duh.
The Curtiss has a setting for encoder steps in the firmware I have worked with, not sure though at the moment if its user access level parameter.

So the count of the disc is 64. I checked for lateral runout and found none. The shaft is solidly in place and no lateral movement. So I put it all back together and made sure the disc was centered within the sensor and no part of the disc was touching any part of the sensor. Connected it all back up and did my motor test again. Still the motor ran up to the set rpm then shut off with an encoder error and motor calibration error like I was getting before. So with that I will pretty much say the encoder sensor is toast. The motor spins smoothly in the test until it shuts the test off but just using the throttle to spin the motor it does its weird thing like it did before with the other controller. I even reversed the encoder but that made no change here. Best case is the encoder sensor is toast. So until I get the parts I need this part of the project is at a stand still.
If you mean Auto Characterization by "motor test" then I would presume it may ignore encoder faults for portions of that sequence.
Have you monitored motor speed on your pc when trying to spin by hand? See if it picks up anything.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
The Curtiss has a setting for encoder steps in the firmware I have worked with, not sure though at the moment if its user access level parameter.

If you mean Auto Characterization by "motor test" then I would presume it may ignore encoder faults for portions of that sequence.
Have you monitored motor speed on your pc when trying to spin by hand? See if it picks up anything.
I have an OEM level computer programmer. As for trying to pick up any rpm by turning by hand the answer is no. I can go do that and report back. The program is set to 64 steps.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts