DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I hope i don't post this twice, 1st try using tapatalk went to nirvana as far as i can tell.

I own a volkswagen baywindow 1971. Its heavy, cw value equals a brick. So, for my conversion i would need 34 kw continous @ 4000 rpm to go a bit over 100 km/h. Thats what i get with my 1600 cc engine now.
I figure the hpevs 35x2 seems the right choice. Looking at the power graphs, this motor wants about 375 amps rms for continous drive @ 4000 rpm and returns a around 40 kw.
However the curtis controller, which goes with this, only delivers 135 amps rms continous. Even with dual Controllers thats not enough for continous 34 kw. Or am i missing something?

Appreciate any thoughts,

Cheers,

Dan

Gesendet von meinem E5823 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Appreciate any thoughts
Have you seen the EV West conversion kits (here)? They use a single AC50 which seems perfectly adequate in terms of performance.

AC50 (or 51?) is what Jehu uses in his split as well (here).

It might also be worth considering a small Tesla motor/inverter/trans/diff... I know that sounds crazy but I've heard some people are picking them up for peanuts from car breakers who don't know what they've got :cool: My Tesla powered split thread is here

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you seen the EV West conversion kits (here)? They use a single AC50 which seems perfectly adequate in terms of performance.

AC50 (or 51?) is what Jehu uses in his split as well (here).

It might also be worth considering a small Tesla motor/inverter/trans/diff... I know that sounds crazy but I've heard some people are picking them up for peanuts from car breakers who don't know what they've got :cool: My Tesla powered split thread is here
Thanks for the links!
I have seen this, but the ac 50 cannot deliver the 34 kw continous, just around 22 [email protected] amps rms. So controller issue is the same with the 135 amps.
I figure the tesla option is way over my head :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure why you think 34kW is important... iirc a single AC50 is twice the HP of the original ICE :)

Here's another great conversion using a single AC motor;

Exactly, thats the question.

Between peak (seconds?) and continous (forever?) there's quite some room.

I'm pretty sure i need the 34 kw @ 4000 rpm to do 100 km/h because my ICE is delivering this. So maybe the question is: How long could i do 34 kw @ 4000 rpm with the ac 50, before the controller starts to shut down and/or the engine overheats?

Btw: Jehu's conversion is fantastic

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
However the curtis controller, which goes with this, only delivers 135 amps rms continous. Even with dual Controllers thats not enough for continous 34 kw. Or am i missing something?

Appreciate any thoughts,

Consider cold plates for controllers with liquid cooling?

major

·
Registered
7,837 Posts
Any idea how far you could push continous amp rms with liquid cooling?
I suspect liquid cooling could get what you need. But don't take that as a guarantee. A lot depends on cold plate design (R-theta, IIRC), flow, heat exchanger (radiator) and ambient temp (delta T). Such a coolant system can lower the overall mean temperature of the devices and extend life.

I've seen cold plate designs for the Curtis. Standalone, it has a thick Al baseplate but but no fins. Good for mounting to large flat metal surface but not so hanging in an air stream. I even recall seeing someone mill coolant slots in the baseplate. I think member here called miz uses liquid cooling on his. Maybe he or Ivansgarage can chime in.

major

{edit}
http://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=104

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the links.

I guess there goes my aircooled ev ;-)

The ev weat cooling plate looks solid to me. Unless there is an 200 amp rms @ 144 volt controller out there, that goes with the hpevs ac 35x2, thats probably the only way to go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts