DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have my Curtis 1239e and HPEVS AC-50 working nicely in my Ford Probe (probatron). In the setting manual there is a description of the VCL functions that can be used to customize the controller. In particular it describes how to set one of the output to drive the vehicle tacho. This would be really cool. I had a circuit that did this before, but it broke. It displayed Amps x 100 on the rev counter. It was supposed to control the fuel gauge too, but that was never very successful. I believe I can use the pwm outputs to control the fuel gauge, temperature gauge and tacho as all the signals are already 'seen' by the controller and the gauges work from resistances, so pwm wrt ground should be easy to achiev wiith a small mosfet hanging on the output for the temperature and fuel level gauges.

In order to do this I need the VCL programming language, the programming manual and the common functions manual from Curtis. Does anybody know where I can get these? My supplier is not forthcoming at the moment.

Thanks...

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Hi, I have my Curtis 1239e and HPEVS AC-50 working nicely in my Ford Probe (probatron). In the setting manual there is a description of the VCL functions that can be used to customize the controller. In particular it describes how to set one of the output to drive the vehicle tacho. This would be really cool. I had a circuit that did this before, but it broke. It displayed Amps x 100 on the rev counter. It was supposed to control the fuel gauge too, but that was never very successful. I believe I can use the pwm outputs to control the fuel gauge, temperature gauge and tacho as all the signals are already 'seen' by the controller and the gauges work from resistances, so pwm wrt ground should be easy to achiev wiith a small mosfet hanging on the output for the temperature and fuel level gauges.

In order to do this I need the VCL programming language, the programming manual and the common functions manual from Curtis. Does anybody know where I can get these? My supplier is not forthcoming at the moment.

Thanks...
Good luck, unfortunately.

VCL is for the OEM's themselves, not necessarily the end-user. HPEVS has done a ton for development of VCL that adds a lot of extra features, uncluding OBDII display, tach output, diagnostics and changing settings so you don't need the handheld or PC programmer.

Did you purchase the AC50 package recently? If so, have you looked at the manual for setting up the controller via the Display? The VCL that HPEVS has programmed already includes a tach output built in.

Go here:
http://hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electric-...-instructions-troubleshooting-information.htm

Then click on on road vehicles, then Programming and diagnostics. Then version 5.14. This was as of 3-28-2014 and later models.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck, unfortunately.

VCL is for the OEM's themselves, not necessarily the end-user. HPEVS has done a ton for development of VCL that adds a lot of extra features, uncluding OBDII display, tach output, diagnostics and changing settings so you don't need the handheld or PC programmer.

Did you purchase the AC50 package recently? If so, have you looked at the manual for setting up the controller via the Display? The VCL that HPEVS has programmed already includes a tach output built in.

Go here:
http://hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electric-...-instructions-troubleshooting-information.htm

Then click on on road vehicles, then Programming and diagnostics. Then version 5.14. This was as of 3-28-2014 and later models.
Thanks,
I have these manuals already. I shall keep digging...

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
You will unlikely be able to find the VCL software, and the OS Firmware you need for the 1239 to do it yourself.

You have the manuals, but specifically did you get the software guide? Is there any reason you don't want to use what's in the HPEVS VCL already? It already does what you want.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will unlikely be able to find the VCL software, and the OS Firmware you need for the 1239 to do it yourself.

You have the manuals, but specifically did you get the software guide? Is there any reason you don't want to use what's in the HPEVS VCL already? It already does what you want.
I am not sure. I got my 1239e from a supplier who got it directly from Curtis. Do I have the HPEVS VCL built in?

Is this something O can just 'switch on'? How?
Lots of questions, sorry...

·
Registered
390 Posts
I am not sure. I got my 1239e from a supplier who got it directly from Curtis. Do I have the HPEVS VCL built in?

Is this something O can just 'switch on'? How?
Lots of questions, sorry...

NO James you do not have HPEV VCL in your controller. One has to buy the controller from HPEV.

So NO Frodus he can't use a spyglass. Does not need it he has a programmer.

--

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
NO James you do not have HPEV VCL in your controller. One has to buy the controller from HPEV.

So NO Frodus he can't use a spyglass. Does not need it he has a programmer.

--
With the information I had, I thought it seemed a safe assumption, my apologies.

When someone says AC50 and the 1239e, then I've found that its usually safe to assume they got them as a package. I've been selling these motor/controller packages for 7-8 years now as a distributor, and rarely do I see them purchased separately as this person indicates. This is one of the reasons why you don't see them sold separate. HPEVS adds a lot of value add with their custom VCL to support some of these extra features for the DIY community.

Regardless, it will be difficult if not impossible to get the VCL compiler and the OS/Firmware and VCL documentation for the 1239e controller that is going to allow him to compile a program. The programmer helps change standard parameters, but he wants to write code to support PWM of one of the outputs to correspond to his RPM/voltage/etc. This isn't a simple parameter change, it's custom VCL to drive those PWM outputs accordingly.

If he does find someone at Curtis or his distributor willing to assist him in getting the VCL toolkit, then that's amazing. I know from experience that trying to get OEM tools as a DIY guy from companies like Sevcon and Curtis is no easy task. I know, I have an older version of the VCL toolkit (including an old VCL manual) and OS12 for the 1236 and 1238. Unfortunately, that is a fairly old OS, and it's only for the 1236/1238. The OS file is different for the 1239e from what my contacts at Curtis and HPEVS have told me, and they've been unwilling to send any new OS files, or documentation. I'll try to ask again, but no promises.

I do wish the best of luck. If he can find it, that's awesome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts