DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last time I tried to use this Curtis (running 100v with PLENTY of Ah capacity behind it) (and I can get the exact model number if needed) - it would barely work - very weak, intermittent. No idea why...

Is there any way to fix this? Anyone who works on these? Anyone who would trade me for something that works... me giving some extra cash? I'm open to trades for something a little different - something that would control 200v (max) @ 300amps continuous would be amazing (for a new Chevy s-10 project). Also, something that would control a smaller motor ~ 100v at 250 - 300 amps continuous would be very useful (another possible project).... thanks (crossing my fingers)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello!

I have tested almost all Kelly KDHE Controller models (and some KDZ). They have improved their controllers a lot for the last 3 years. Most people only get bad reputation in the PAST but they are good, very good now.

There are 2 controllers I can suggest to replace your Curtis:

1) 120V1500A (KDH12151E). This is their most powerful animal, my amp display showed more than 1000Amps (after 999 it goes EEEE -out of range!) 135V maximum

2) 144V800A (KDH14801E). This is also good, higher voltage but less current. I tested it and it can suck peak 600Amps. It can work up to 180V (178 absolute maximum)

Yes yes, you will never see 800Amps from the battery side using an 800A Kelly controller, those amps will be put to the motor from the controller!

I'm using them in a MINI Cooper and a 1.8 Ton Nissan NP300 Cargo Truck, believe me Kelly has improved, forget about all other Kelly models their catalog is huge, save time and money on testing! Forget about the Zilla's ultra expensive controllers, or the obsolete Curtis also expensive and with decades of stalled technology! Forget about those who charge 750USD to FIX that controller.

Kelly offers configuration software FOR FREE, using a simple Serial port to USB via Windows GUI.

Please take into account the models I suggest have BIG CASEs models, all others have heat issues being smaller, not a big issue but in smaller models you need a big heat sink/air cooling or water cooling.

I have a deal with them, so I can send you any model you want for about 10% to 15% discount I buy wholesale from them. The J1 and J2 harnesses are free for you.

I accept PayPal, if you are interested, PM me to prepare a quote, specify your address.

As you know PayPal offers buyer's protection program for 180 days!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts