DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at all the parameters that can be adjusted inside the Curtis 1238 controller. Can someone describe if an electric car application should use their "Torque" mode or "Speed" mode? As they describe, Torque mode is if you want the accellerator pedal to relate to torque where speed mode is if you want the accellerator pedal to relate to speed.

I'm just not sure which is appropriate for a car? Any advice? Thanks. Tom.

Particulars:

Donor: 1981 Jeep CJ5, manual SR-4 transmission, stock (light duty) transfer case, manual brakes, manual steering
GM small-block adapter plate from Candian EV to stock bell housing
Presently removed front drive-shaft

34 200Ah Thundersky batteries
EV Display fuel gauge
MiniBMS (distributed) BMS
Curtis 1238-7501 controller
AC50 9" Ac motor
2/00 wiring

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I think torque mode gives the best "feel" when driving, since tractive effort is proportional to wheel torque. HPEVS sets up the Curtis controller in torque mode for the motor/controller systems they use/sell.

·
Admin: 'one of many'
4,838 Posts
I would go with torque mode.

The speed of the car would then vary on a fixed pedal position as the terrain varies much like a conventional ICE car.
With speed mode you would have to keep moving your foot to match the slight fluctuations in speed that the rest of the traffic experiences. It would be like driving your car using the cruise control + - buttons.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts