DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!

I want to get a retired uhaul, box truck or a high top van and convert it into a more fuel efficient RV, with a solar panel system connected to the car battery system.. (I want a small fridge and other utilities)

Are there fleet hybrid trucks already out there that get put up for sale, and where would I find one?

What is possible ? What would you do?
Anyone around here in LA who might be wiling to help?

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I want to get a retired uhaul, box truck or a high top van and convert it into a more fuel efficient RV, with a solar panel system connected to the car battery system.. (I want a small fridge and other utilities)
What is possible ? What would you do?
Certainly solar power works for refrigeration and other uses in an RV.

An EV RV is possible, but it will have much shorter range that I would want in an RV. The battery pack will be competing for space with the utility components that an RV normally has under the floor, primarily fresh water and waste tanks, plus cargo space. A hybrid is more practical due to the smaller battery.

I would like regenerative braking in my motorhome, and it would be great to have a large high-voltage battery for RV use, but to be realistic, a hybrid configuration doesn't help efficiency much in highway use, so it's hard to justify.

Are there fleet hybrid trucks already out there that get put up for sale, and where would I find one?
Every fleet of hybrid and battery-electric trucks deployed in commercial service eventually gets retired, some long before their intended life because the reality of fleet operation turns out to be less wonderful than promised. I suspect that they are usually scrapped, rather than sold as operating vehicles, to avoid triggering requests for support from the companies which put them together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts