DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
I'm actually a long time EV enthusiast and now an electrical engineer, so not really a newbie of EVs but on this forum yes!馃槄
Lately I wanted to own an electric car because I'm installing solar panel and home battery at my home so this could be suitable to cut some other expense of my family.

I would like to convert an old FIAT Panda into an electric one but not only replacing the engine filling the trunk with batteries/inverter/motor but doing something in Tesla style and putting batteries underneath the seats, removing gearbox and old infotaiment and adding the electric motor in the trunk (hopefully with somefree space volume).
It would be great to maximize the impact of the modification (lowering the center of gravity/adding free space in the trunk/having higher power/torque delivery) in the cheapest way

Do you know if there is any full conversion kit for old cars (batteries+inverter+infotainment+motor+onboardcharger) that only need to be placed in the right way?
Or some method to put the hands on leaf or other cheap components on this car?

I leave you here a early design I did sometimes ago.

Thank you foryour reply and sorryif I started posting in the wrong place.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Registered
That model of car is not worth anybody's time but yours. The answer, afaik, is there's nothing and you will have to engineer everything to fit into the car.

Your Tesla fantasy pretty much will destroy, and require building, the entire vehicle apart from the outer body shell and glass, so why not just buy a Model 3 and drop a widebody Panda shell on it?

As far as an "infotainment" system in a homebrew EV conversion, I suggest a smartphone and earbuds. Nothing of course stopping you from doing a full stack Android or Apple Carplay. The Model 3 donor car gets you what you want there as well.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That model of car is not worth anybody's time but yours. The answer, afaik, is there's nothing and you will have to engineer everything to fit into the car.

Your Tesla fantasy pretty much will destroy, and require building, the entire vehicle apart from the outer body shell and glass, so why not just buy a Model 3 and drop a widebody Panda shell on it?

As far as an "infotainment" system in a homebrew EV conversion, I suggest a smartphone and earbuds. Nothing of course stopping you from doing a full stack Android or Apple Carplay. The Model 3 donor car gets you what you want there as well.
Thank you, Remy.

Unfortunately I found out that here in Italy is impossible to do a retrofit like the one I had in my mind.
It is only possible to install a premade retrofit kit into my car that suit 16kW nominal power and 16kWh of battery from Newtron specialized mechanics.

Unfortunately I have to stop here. :cry:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts