DIY Electric Car Forums banner
261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s sad to hear how big is your motor problem. This means that you were in parking again for much longer than expected. What solution you see for rotor? Will repair locally or try to by new one?
Do you have some progress with power steering? Do you finally get yours working or motor cancel all your experiments?
Hey guys! just some info that would be usefull for anyone converting a Mazda RX8.

The ECU must be removed and following CAN messages must be simulated to have no errors on display, control cluster, etc. The stability control, ABS works with this setup! Tested on Mazda RX 2004

Code:
201 38 A8 FF FF 3A 2B C8 81    // 0,1 bytes RPM; 4 - Speed (26=0;3F=65; 4F=106; 5F=147; 6F=189)
420 6B 23 C7 00 00 00 61 81    // 0 byte Temp (non linear) (5B-0%; 60-10%; 68-25%; 98=50%; 9E-75%; A4=100%) Fault codes: 01-ok; 00 error: 4 byte: Oil pressure, 5 Check engine, 6 battery charge
215 02 2D 02 2D 02 2A 06 81    // Some ECU status
231 0F 00 FF FF 02 2D 06 81    // Some ECU status
240 04 00 28 00 02 37 06 81    // Some ECU status
250 00 00 CF 87 7F 83 00 00   // Some ECU status
200 00 00 FF FF 00 32 06 81   // EPS doesn't work without this
202 89 89 89 19 34 1F C8 FF  // EPS doesn't work without this

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hello, the last holidays. I solved the problem with the steering rack is much easier to set it on the motor shaft gear and set the sensor (below fasten link to Russian Forum electric)
How it all works for me. You sit down in the car you turn the ignition key, waiting to load when the controller 1 soliton then just slightly depress the accelerator pedal to the engine motor alfa k11 began its rotation thus it gives the controller ESU vehicle that the motor is running and the steering rack will run until not switch off the ignition. It's very simple works. I have so go 12,000 km.
http://electrotransport.ru/ussr/index.php?topic=22327.0
The forum has some of my videos

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hello, I Just read all posts . Great conversion!!. :) , last month i finished conversion on old Opel Kadett to electric. Maybe you saw it . I'm now so happy and impressed how nice is to drive electric. I'm total addicted to EV conversion. Im also having BMW E60 530 D. In the future I want him electric. I was looking wich motor and controler to take. I also decided to buy K 11 , but after your problems. .. don't know. .. I wanet to put i directly without gearbox. What do you think is i possible to drive this motor without gearbox? ?? And is good because of weight. . You can put more batteries. . :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Digix, Pavel: Thank you both for your messages! I'm about to get back to this topic very soon, too much external projects right now. I will sure test both approaches and will let you know!

mfox: Congrats to your conversion! Sure, it is possible to run K11 without gearbox, in light car it makes much more sense then using the gearbox. But be careful, the more cells you will add the less sense it makes, because of rising weight :) But if you are not seeking for electric sport car, then definitely go for it. Also I recommend you to visit thread about hybrid gearboxes: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/hybrid-transmissions-diy-e-v-futurei-154570.html This is definitely the path my project will follow. Installing DC drive today does not make so much sense as few years back when I started my Mazda conversion.

Sorry to everybody I'm not updating my thread very often, but it does not mean I'm out of the business. Situation is rather opposite, which gives me less free time, I'm sure everybody who mean E.V. business seriously are in the same position :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tnx :)
That's great! I thought that this motor and controller is wery difficult to make them work in conversion. The price is also wery good . I would also like to buy one for my next conversion. :)
I saw BMW 330Ci conversion whit this motor , but running it is not so easy and I don't like so high voltage... 650V is to much... I wouldn't go more than 300V DC nominal ... Don't know if is possible to reach 200kw with 300V..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys! just some info that would be usefull for anyone converting a Mazda RX8.

The ECU must be removed and following CAN messages must be simulated to have no errors on display, control cluster, etc. The stability control, ABS works with this setup! Tested on Mazda RX 2004

Code:
201 38 A8 FF FF 3A 2B C8 81    // 0,1 bytes RPM; 4 - Speed (26=0;3F=65; 4F=106; 5F=147; 6F=189)
420 6B 23 C7 00 00 00 61 81    // 0 byte Temp (non linear) (5B-0%; 60-10%; 68-25%; 98=50%; 9E-75%; A4=100%) Fault codes: 01-ok; 00 error: 4 byte: Oil pressure, 5 Check engine, 6 battery charge
215 02 2D 02 2D 02 2A 06 81    // Some ECU status
231 0F 00 FF FF 02 2D 06 81    // Some ECU status
240 04 00 28 00 02 37 06 81    // Some ECU status
250 00 00 CF 87 7F 83 00 00   // Some ECU status
200 00 00 FF FF 00 32 06 81   // EPS doesn't work without this
202 89 89 89 19 34 1F C8 FF  // EPS doesn't work without this
I recently tried using this code on a RX-8 im working on and it gets the speedo and rpm to move but doesnt turn off the Anti- Theft and the power steering .also the EPS works only for one second then stops. Hopefully its something easy to figure out !!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I will newer recommend this solution for somebody without some future comments. At first moment, it looks good, but has some underwater stones (of course). ECU is central computer for this car and if you disconnect it, you lose wehicle speed signal at all. Man who send this forget to say that hi is building their own board that calculates speed from motor rpm (it is direct drive car) and it is still not finished…..
Power steering unit need engine rpm signal just once, then it goes ON until you switch ignition of. You can try to put ECU back in place and simulate rpm in analog way using original signal sender. It does not need very accurate signal input here, just put it close to some rotating stuff. If you get your PS to work in that way, then you can go deeper into CAN. With ECU in place you can use diagnostic tools too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for your response :)!

I need exactly frames CAN bus are responsible for controlling the instrument cluster, because I want to swap cluster from Mazda RX-8, to another Mazda without CANbus. All the ID that I found on this forum do not activate the odometer. Speed, engine speed, temperature, lights etc. work properly. Trip A / B shows all the time 0.0 and main trip not count. I think, that I need some additional signal, probably from ABS, which speaks about the fact that the car is moving. Therefore I need a dump CAN bus a few seconds, preferably while driving. I will be able to send a data packet to the cluster and excluding unnecessary information.
What exactly is it that you need? Its quite a busy bus

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Hi everybody, it is time for an update after one year. Mazda is all right, this year it had driven 35 thousand kilometers. What else to say. Power steering is still not working. I have done everything as everybody else with electric RX8 did, but no results. I got desperate so I think in August 2016 I spent whole day with CAN-Bus professional Company which does CAN development for living. We compared ICE RX8 with my car, done everything together again as I did many times before. No result again. They liked my car and my enthusiasm, so I did not have to pay 10 x 92 EUR hour rate, but I would rather reached some results. Now my opinion is that there has to be something wrong with steering rack.
I'm still very excited about replacing my DC motor with Lexus gearbox. Eldis has his UMD drive ready and I have Chevy Volt inverter purchased, so no barriers anymore except being busy. Wish me good luck to move this project forward soon.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Few weeks ago I saw some Wankel powered RX-8s at local race track. I checked them under the bonnet, of course, and I noticed there is strong fuse for electric power steering, directly at the battery +pole. Some guys had air-boxes replaced by KN filters, starting battery in the trunk and other modifications, so I could trace the cables and.. Of course I don't have this harness in my car anymore!!! I feel like a fool now. I have tried different CAN-Bus voodoo stuff, establishing separate CAN networks, developing HW gateways to filter messages between CAN lines, changing power steering ECU, checking wires to steering rack, steering wheel position sensor and tons of other stuff, but I simply did not realized that electric power steering also need to be powered!! Somehow I became 100% sure that this is solved by Mazda main fuse box, I completely forgot that it was powered from +pole of starting battery directly. Power steering ECU was speaking to me over CAN and I didn't suspected there is no power for steering rack itself. OK, stupid me. I know what I must do now :)

261 - 278 of 278 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.