DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have this idea of building a vehicle like a snowcat. A four seat tracked vehicle using electric power. My plan is to keep it as light as possible. I first wanted to use a small water-cooled generator of some kind to help charge this vehicle but now want to see if I can build it all-electric first. You will see me asking various questions on the forum and maybe the answers will help others out.
My experience with EV,s is from my dad owning two Prius. They worked really well and were reliable, never left him stranded.
I also think people should invest in EV kind of stock.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
Welcome! :)

Be prepared for the problem that tracked vehicles use a lot of energy to move compared to tires, and it takes a lot of energy to move over soft surfaces (such as snow) compared to hard surfaces.

·
Administrator
6,310 Posts
Hi! I have this idea of building a vehicle like a snowcat. A four seat tracked vehicle using electric power. My plan is to keep it as light as possible. I first wanted to use a small water-cooled generator of some kind to help charge this vehicle but now want to see if I can build it all-electric first. You will see me asking various questions on the forum and maybe the answers will help others out.
My experience with EV,s is from my dad owning two Prius. They worked really well and were reliable, never left him stranded.
I also think people should invest in EV kind of stock.
How much petrol would a conventionally powered one use?
If you think about that and (very very roughly) treat each gallon of petrol as 10 kwh of battery that will give you an approximation of the amount of batteries you will need

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figure I will need about 48, 3.2 lifepo4 batteries at 100ah to get to 150volts. I'm still researching the batteries needed for a few hours at a pace of about twenty MPH. I have about a 5-10 mile area that I want to travel offroad on. My other idea is to show up with cash at a forklift repair shop/motor repair shop and see if I get lucky on a motor. I'm thinking of hooking this up to a VW transaxle. Use cutting brakes as my rail did. This is in the planning stage right now. Kind of an enclosed tube framed dune buggy with a large battery box under the frame with rubber tracks. I figure to keep this under 2000 pounds with passengers. I've also considered using aluminum as much as possible to keep the weight down. I first considered putting a minivan on top of the frame. Surprisingly my van weighs 4000 pounds, so I took that out of the equation. It's all a fun idea anyhow.

·
Registered
173 Posts
How much are you looking to spend? Maybe consider a battery from a salvaged hybrid (like a Chevy Volt pack).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts