DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully setup DC fast charging in their conversion?

If so, what was involved?

As I understand it (gleaned from mentions in other posts and forums), it would only require a set of contactors in the car that connect the battery to the charge port. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
742 Posts
No, need to be compatible with the standard of the stations in your region that you want to use.

DCFC
CHAdeMO
US CCS, J1772
Euro CSS use SAE
Tesla does its own thing with its Superchargers

Some standards, can use adapter connectors, most not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, need to be compatible with the standard of the stations in your region that you want to use.

DCFC
CHAdeMO
US CCS, J1772
Euro CSS use SAE
Tesla does its own thing with its Superchargers

Some standards, can use adapter connectors, most not.
I understand that, I am asking specifically about DC fast charging (DCFC).

My current plan is to use J1772 and all the associated components to do so, but I am investigating have DCFC as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
OK, googled a bit more, looks like DCFC is not itself a standard promulgated by any specific organization, but just an umbrella term for DC input at "level 3" rates, usually requiring 3-phase power, stateside only provided in an industrial/commercial context.

The three current actual specs are CHAdeMO, SAE Combo aka CCS and Tesla’s proprietary supercharger.

Apparently there is a CCS2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was searching this morning for info about this topic. I was just about to ask this same question.

I am trying to find out some detailed info on this, like do the fast DC terminals go straight to the battery, or do they run through a contactor operated by handshake? (seems like they would) And what communications would go across to control it. I couldn't find any car service manuals that would divulge the wiring behind the DCFC port.

I'm in the design and parts gathering phase of my Tesla/Volt/Fiero build, and am researching what charge inlet I will use. I wanted to use a CCS Combo 2 initally, but it seems like CCS combo 1 is far better supported in the states. It would be really nice to have DCFC available either way, I just haven't found much on implementing it.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Where would you have access to a fast charging station? or to a network of fast charging stations? Who else has a network besides Tesla.

Once you have that answer, then you can determine which connector and protocol you will need to interface.

There are no plug-n-play solutions. Just trying to obtain the protocol specifications is an expensive task, e.g. Chademo.

If you are building your own fast charging station to use at home, then you can do it any way you wish, with no protocol needed other than something to control the pack contactors so that you never have a hot port or plug while making or breaking the connection.

just my 2¢ on this topic

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have Chademo in my T-Rex range extending camper. I haven’t really talked about yet but it’s there. YouTube.com/Jamesklafehn

·
Registered
4 Posts
The full Chademo specification is available through IEEE, as Standard 2030.1.1TM-2015 if you have access.

In that document you can see all the required hardware and can-bus communication messages.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My son got chademo working on our car. He used some info from EVTV and some others and built his own JLD505 controller. This is all over my head, but the info is all hosted here, including links to his Arduino code on github. His web site is incomplete but the github has everything including schematics from EVTV. Might be best to start at the comments section here as he recently replied to some questions on this. https://www.electricboxster.com/ And I'll tell him about this thread, so you can ask questions here and he'll reply. His username here is Isaac97.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts