DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this Brushed Generator over 30 years ago.

I have a 30V DC Brushed Generator, from Aircraft, I believe. It's 100 Amp output. I know Starter-Generators can be used as motors. Can this Generator be used as a motor, and, what kind of power can I expect out of it ??

Seems that 30 X 100 = 3000, so, that would be 3KW, or about 4 HP ?? If it is powered up with 72 Volts, would that KW be the same, or, will it change much ?? Would I need to advance the brushes a little. to help dampen the arcing on the commutator ?

Reason I ask is, I nearly bought a Motorcycle today, with a blown engine. Would this motor be sufficient to run a Motorcycle on the road, without being slow enough to get run over ??? Motorcycle was a single Cyl., at 150CC. Probably about equal to a Ninja 250 or so. ??

Thanks for any ideas or info.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank You Major.

Only reason I ask these questions is, the Gen is 1300 miles away. A $350.00 Plane ticket, or, $250.00 to ship a small crate down here, before I start letting out the Magic Smoke.

A WAG, what type controller would I need ?? Are these compound wound or sepex wound ?? I can't for the life of me remember how many connection studs are on the Gen. Starter-Generators require a special controller, although, I did read an article, where a guy was using an Alltrax controller and a rheostat for the field windings. Just was a very old article from the 70's, and no way to try to contact the guy.

Really appreciate the input. Thank you again. Harold

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No attachment at all. You should take a week and come down for a visit. It's nearly impossible to find what I want, and, when they see the blue eyes, they double the prices. I'm slowly learning how to get back at them, though.

I go to Fl. at least once a year, so, the cost would be absorbed as "family visit time". Then, I can carry back 100 pounds of goods for $30.00 as baggage. Generator is probably 30#.

My Son is coming down in May, and, might bring a friend. That make more baggage room for my junk. I will see if he can dig through the warehouse bay and find the Gen and tell me the connection studs location and amount.

I also have 3 Alternators here to play with, as motors. Controllers are $140.00, though. ?????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.