DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a very stupid question but I keep trying to think of a reason this wouldn't work...

If I had a 12v battery that powered a 12v dc motor which turned a chain attached to a sprocket that turned an axle.... than I have a 12v dc motor attached to the same axle via another chain and sprocket which was ran backwards to send power in reverse to the other battery or motor.... would this charge the battery or help power the motor? Which would result in a longer runtime on the battery????

Sorry this might be a stupid question, thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Hi

The response is NO!

You can't invented the perpetual movement!!!

All this mecanisme isn't 100% efficiency. So because the regenerative motor probably have around 85% efficiency, you lost 15% of power inside this motor (heat).

In fact without the second motor (regenerative), your assembly will have 15% longer runtime.
This explanation don't include all the other lost in efficiency like chain, sprocket and wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I figured I was wrong but could not figure why? Thanks for the explanation... I am very new to this stuff....

·
Registered
162 Posts
Ok, I figured I was wrong but could not figure why? Thanks for the explanation... I am very new to this stuff....
The energy needed to turn around the second motor must come from somewhere - in this case the first motor! So basically, you are just converting electric power to movement, and then that movement back to electric. It's like trying to lift yourself pulling your hair!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts