DIY Electric Car Forums banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

· Registered
7,793 Posts
A liquid TC does the exact same thing. You have a stator vane angle vs a rotor vane angle. The resulting vector is what multiplies the torque.
I said the TC multiplies torque at the expense of rotational velocity. It uses a mechanical advantage accomplished with hydraulic fluid. But clutches do not. They simply slip. Torque in equals torque out. Power out is proportional to the rotational velocity. The rest of the power in is lost as heat.

· Registered
441 Posts
I said the TC multiplies torque at the expense of rotational velocity. It uses a mechanical advantage accomplished with hydraulic fluid. But clutches do not. They simply slip. Torque in equals torque out. Power out is proportional to the rotational velocity. The rest of the power in is lost as heat.
Turn 460rwhp at 0 rpm into calories, and apply it to 12 lbs of steel. It would fail, since steel softens starting at 500°F. 6000HP?

Like I said, we need to agree to disagree. I've never changed the mind of a single "clutches lose all their HP" guy ...

But I have violated quite a number of automatic Vettes with more HP. No way I shift faster than digital controlled automagic.

· Registered
8,155 Posts
No, an automatic will shift smoothly with a locking TC. We lock our converters immediately after the 1-2 shift and leave it locked for 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5.
Ok, so what happens from a stop, no idle, no fluid pressure, when taking off with an unlocked torque converter?

· Registered
480 Posts
Top fuel dragsters use clutch slip to their advantage, it can't be discounted because it is inefficient.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Re: DC Plasma - Build Thread - 9Sec Fiero

Am I correct in assuming that the transwarp splined shaft is stronger than the standard warp9 shaft? Is your front motor the standard warp output shaft or is it a transwarp with a splined coupler?
Yes the Twarp9 has a 1.375" 32 spline DE output shaft, very rugged.
The TWarp9 CE end is 1.125" round 1/4" single key shaft.
The Warp9 DE end has a 1.125" round 1/4" single key shaft.
I mate them with a 4" long solid coupler.
I use a custom alloy key in mine for good measure.

The Warp9 CE end is .875" round.

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
I am inviting all EV enthusiasts who want to venture down here a place to stay and charge and race against Lonestar EV Racing team's latest car Assault&Battery.
ON Memorial day weekend Saturday May 25th 5pm we will be at Lonestar Motorsports Park in Sealy Texas, racing test-n-tune, bracket racing, 1/8th mile and 1/4 mile.
http://www.lonestarmotorsportspark.com/

ON Sunday Memorial day weekend the 26th 3pm we are invited to Alleycat's Memorial Lock-In Grudge Match.
By special invitation from The Texas Alleycat himself racing Pro-Mod and everything from 4.9 to 7.0 brackets A&B will be there to find a 110mph culprit we can sprint past and start our own grudge race.
http://www.houstonmotorsportspark.com/dSched.htm
I will fly the NEDRA banner, so you could call it a NEDRA event but not a sanctioned event, just a nedra-member thing.....

Plenty of time to make your plans....
Metric

· Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Nicely said...

John, you should add that line from McRat on your signature.

The best part about all of this is that John is using true off the shelf parts, not tuned up motors with secret modifications like some other EV Racers.

Really great to see the Warp9's taking 199V each, Netgain is stepping up and implementing new tech into these old tech motors.
Yes I think I will, but now I need a new quote from McRat. What do you call an 8 second car?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.