DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for dead or near dead Tesla modules to use as mock-ups for designing and testing a battery enclosure. Please let me know with a PM, if you have some. Shipping or pick-up wise, I'm located in the NW of the US.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Isn’t is safer and easier to source to use solid insulation material of the correct thickness and cut it into the correct shape?
If you want a more accurate approach, probably having some dummies 3D printed is cheaper than buying modules, even dead or near dead ones (depending on the reason for their state).
The 3D model is already available on the diyelectriccar Grabcad https://grabcad.com/library/tesla-model-s-battery-module-1

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn’t is safer and easier to source to use solid insulation material of the correct thickness and cut it into the correct shape?
If you want a more accurate approach, probably having some dummies 3D printed is cheaper than buying modules, even dead or near dead ones (depending on the reason for their state).
The 3D model is already available on the diyelectriccar Grabcad https://grabcad.com/library/tesla-model-s-battery-module-1

I'm past the making and using mock-ups stages. I would like to try modifying the modules to a 12s or other configuration, and checking the fit in an enclosure. Also, I don't think the mock-ups I have will burn with the same characteristics as actual modules if I were to try some destructive testing with the prototype enclosures.

Which raises another question. Will a dead module burn with the same intensity(or close to it) of a charging or fully charged good module? Could an electrical charge be applied to a dead module to ignite, and continuously ignite it, simulating the burning of a good module?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interesting! Looking forward to your findings in case you indeed manage to test this.
Think igniting them is easiest by overcharging cells. So it depends on why they are dead. If all individual cell fuses are blown you won't be able to abuse them electrically and trigger a thermal runaway.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Which raises another question. Will a dead module burn with the same intensity(or close to it) of a charging or fully charged good module?
The energy released in a battery fire is from combustion, not from the release of stored electrochemical energy, so I doubt that the state of charge matters to the intensity of the fire.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The energy released in a battery fire is from combustion, not from the release of stored electrochemical energy, so I doubt that the state of charge matters to the intensity of the fire.
Mmmm..... true.

Is the electrochemical energy completely unrelated to the energy released during combustion?

A dead cell vs. a charged cell, each in under a burner, no difference to what happens when they cook off?

When you burn a battery, you're at least somewhat likely to release both types of energy, as if pack ruptures or plates melt, they'll short.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I assume by "Tesla", you mean MS/MX modules. Good luck with finding a gimme. The dead modules I've been watching for still fetch a few hundred dollars apiece (because one man's mockup is more important than another's in a constrained-supply market)....even the severely corroded ones get crazy money -- I'm guessing there's a crowd out there that's betting on mining functional 18650's from "bad" modules. I was willing to pay for a dozen "dead" modules for my packaging validation, but somebody else thought they were worth more than I did.

So, as was said, dummy foam/cardboard surrogates or the real thing. The real thing means handling and storage precautions because they will light off given the right provocation. So -- it'll be the real ones for mine.

I'm in the PNW and may have several in the pack I'm opening up right now (I'll know what I have in a week or so). But they won't be free (opportunity cost, despite you being a DIYEC bro').

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm still looking for dead Tesla modules for my project. If you have some, or have a lead on some, please let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts