DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Queen's University Belfast are soon to be building a DeLorean EV!

From our Facebook Page:
"The QUB Electric DeLorean Project is run by the School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at Queen's University Belfast. This project will teach students about the electrical and electronic technology used in electric vehicles through the conversion of a 1981 DeLorean sports car to use electric propulsion (electric motor and batteries).

The car will feature in a STEM educational programme to be developed for schools across Northern Ireland.

The DeLorean sports car was built in Dunmurry, 5 miles from Belfast, and had an iconic starring role in the Back to the Future films. The way we see it, if you're going to build an electric car, you may as well do it with some style.

This project is principally sponsored by Northern Ireland Electricity and has received financial backing from the Queen's Annual Fund."

We've seen it done before but we want to go above and beyond anything done previously, so I'm asking you guys for whatever ideas you may have and would like to see in an EV (of course, we'll have the obligatory Flux Capacitor) like voice control for example.

Thanks for the input!

Design Considerations: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxuAgO4V-MibVldoOWxEdllVRGs/edit?usp=sharing If you've more to add to this let me know, and I'll put it down:) It's easier to adjust stuff in the design stage than later!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we haven't started yet, but a website has been setup. We're having a meeting on Monday to make some of the first design decisions and assign roles to people, so someone will be put in charge of PR and updating with project information. The plan at the moment is to get a live video feed of the project up and running and a youtube channel setup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
DeLorean built a prototype EV a couple of years ago and has some info. on their web page http://delorean.com/2011/10/electric-delorean/

It was supposed to be in production in 2013 but it doesn't seem to be (though the web page still says "production in 2013). Pretty pricey too but the performance is there.

If you're going for "Back to the Future," I think you need the semi-cheesey LED display showing "Present Time, Destination Time, and Last Time Departed."

Good luck with the build!

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
The honeycomb carbon fiber bodied version is very light. 50% of the original version.
He could buy some wrecked Tesla rollers for his Delorean EV and really have something special!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts