DIY Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Frodos,

Great great information as I am still new to the ev world. I will adapt to do a 30S based on the algorithm my charger can handle with the need of your help at some point. As far as the BMS, do they make custom BMS's for a 30s setup by chance? Again, thank you for the information as it helps greatly.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Not sure if there's a 30s, you'll have to do some reasearch. I wouldn't recommend custom, as it's going to cost you an arm and a leg. If you think a $200 deltaQ is expensive, you'll balk at the cost of a custom BMS.

There are BMS that are expandable (Like Zeva) that are sold in multiples of 12. So you'd get one master, and 3 12s boards and you wouldn't use the 6 extra channels.

Let me know on the charger when you're ready. just PM me or email me through the forum.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I will look into it a bit more. Any good sites to get my hands on a BMS?

I will definitely get with you on the programming for the charger. I appreciate it alot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some of the BMS sellers I have been talking with on Aliexpress, not sure if that's a good site to get a BMS on or not, but they are asking about the current. What are they meaning? The spec sheets for the 26650 batteries explain a standard charging current is 2.5A and fast charging at 10A? Since I have 30s, would I simply take 30 times the charging current? I am new to this and would like to learn as much as I can about charging and the battery packs.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Does current add in series or parallel? No, it doesn't. It stays the same. Voltage adds in series.

Current adds in parallel. So you need to know how many in parallel.

But really, your load determines the peak current. Find the peak current on the 1231C Curtis Controller you have. That will tell you discharge current. But I honestly would stay away from chinese BMS. Get a real one and look at some of the electric vehicle parts resellers online. Thunderstruck, EVWest, StealthEV, Electricmotorsport, etc.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts