DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
941 Posts
The system should be set up such that the display will change to a night setting when the head lights are turned on. That would be better than fiddling with buttons while driving in traffic as the sun is going down.

· Registered
941 Posts
Great Idea!
Just a matter of hardware. Let me know if you have something that sends a PC that info (my car does not have obd2 nor canbus etc.) via usb/serial/bluetooth. Maybe have it as an option. I wouldn't want to pass that cost on as a requirement.
Hmmm... so you actually have a complere pc in the car? Do you actually have a hard drive and everything? I guess it makes sense that you would. Running all those graphics and the touch screen and menus etc would be difficult otherwise. Man, that is wild setup. honestly, i am not sure how you would communicate with the pc. I am not much of a programmer. I can ask some of my programming buddies. They might know how to interface with a computer better than me. My only guess would be to run current from the dash light harness directly to a contact on a usb port or a serial port. I guess that the usb port would probably not like the current and potential that the running lights use, so one would probably need to have a resistor in line. I don't know what size though. The computer would view a current as a 1 and the absence of current as a 0. Again, I am not familiar with how to interface with a computer, so I realize that I am basically talking out my rear end here, but still, something along these lines should be possible with out too much trouble. Heck, you already have such a killer setup. I'm sure it required tons of work. Making it dim would be easy by comparison right? ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.