DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently I am in the process of designing my two battery boxes and the high voltage wiring diagram.
Ideally I'd like to add the charger and main - contactor to the front box as well as a high voltage high current fuse and a maintenance switch and the shunt.
I am thinking of having another high voltage high current fuse in the rear box and the main + contactor together with the precharge resistor and contactor.

However especially in the front area I do not have much space or my box will get a very odd shape.

My current questions:

How do you think about the importance of two high voltage high current fuses? Would only one in the back sufficient?

What do you think about the idea of adding the contactors to the battery boxes?

This is my current sketch (hope is is readable, will make a digital one later).

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That is an impressive project. Luckily mine is more straightforward since I will have one BMS monitoring all cells.

My concern is a little different I guess. If I have one main fuse, the circuit as a whole is protected.
But in case of an issue in the wiring to and from the front box, that box is not protected if I only have a fuse in the rear box.
... Perhaps I am answering my own question here...
Since I do want protection for the front box in that case.
I might consider implementing the fuse in the HV contactor box just next to the front box if I can't squeeze it in the box itself. Or increase the size of the box so it does fit in (but then the shape of the box will become more and more odd).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts