DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should probably just spend a month reading on this forum, but I'll start my thread anyway.

A couple friends and I are going to be converting an old Divco Truck.

(not our truck, but looks the same)

We have the truck and an Advanced DC FB4001a motor. We're thinking about integrating a couple solar panels in the roof (Sanyo double sided HIT panels)

(I did this installation - but not my house)

and thinking about figuring out how to do regen braking despite it being a problem with this motor.

We will use the vehicle for advertising our business(es) (I have a solar installation company and another guy is an energy auditor among other things). We will probably be spending a fair amount on the appearance and don't really need to spend a ton on the conversion. I don't think we need it to go more than about 45mph and 20-25 mile range would probably be ok.

On the one hand, I was sure we'd be looking at lead acid or some conventional batteries, but those Thunder Sky batteries don't seem that expensive. A lot of people with lead acid batteries seem to be saying things like "50 mile range (well, lately I'm lucky to get 10 miles)." On the other hand, our performance needs aren't that great and saving money on the batteries (and maybe battery management too) could be a good idea.

I still have too much to learn to even have good questions at this point, but I'll be reading up as much as I can. Any advice/thoughts will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,

newenergy

·
Registered
50 Posts
thats cool :) some points:

lithium is not that expensive if you only "need" a (very) small range, the price difference is about 2x lead, all else being equal it also weighs (less than) half of lead, and could get 2x the numer of charges. and some other advantages. only disadvantage are that lithium needs a proper charger and preferrably a bms, and lithium degrades over time (as do lead batteries), but properly maintained lead batteries *can* outlast them if you use it "every now and then". if you use it every day, I'd totally choose lithium.

also, with the solarpanels, make sure you don't overcharge your batteries (lead or lithium), coming back to your truck after the weekend and finding its burnt to a crisp because the batteries boiled / exploded in fury and flame, would be not cool.

·
Registered
50 Posts
it all depends on how you treat those leads, some people manage to kill them under 300, others go over 1000.

what I'm trying to say is that it doesn't really matter what you choose, if you drive it enough to wear it out before it breaks of old age, Li gives more benefits (power, weight, number of cycles), but the cost per mile stays about equal (Li giving more miles, but costing more up front investment.) but if you don't drive the full numer of cycles worth in the +/- 3 to possibly 5 years a battery should last, then consider lead because its just plain cheaper if you don't need all the (performance) benefits of LiXX.

heh, just pondering, maybe this would even be an ideal case for industrial quality flooded traction batteries, they last for 2000-3000 50% DoD cycles, and for 10-20 years (with proper maintenance), the only disadvantage is their weight (not sure about price), but that doesn't seem like an issue with a truck (that doesn't need big range or big speed)

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's a seriously cool truck for your business. I think it's worth the lithium, especially if it's representing your company.

I'd aim for at least 50 mph as well.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I should probably just spend a month reading on this forum, but I'll start my thread anyway.

A couple friends and I are going to be converting an old Divco Truck.

(not our truck, but looks the same)

newenergy
Sorry man, but that has to be the ugliest looking thing I've seen with 4 wheels. lol. Can't u find something a little less.... ahhhh less of a BRICK... lol :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts