DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Introducing myself, I've already gotten some great info here. Hope to share my project as it gets started.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found a '75 Honda Civic Wagon as a donor car. Its engine is kaput, so it's a great candidate. I'm waiting to get it into my driveway. It may take a few weeks, but once it's here I'll asses what's possible. My plan is to put a Leaf motor in it. I'm not sure about the batteries yet. Have to figure out where I can put them once I get it home and somewhat stripped down. The exact dimensions of possible spaces will dictate what kind of batteries, I think.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am amazed that you found a 1975 Civic that didn't collapse in a pile of rust a decade for two ago.
I don't think it did.... haven't had a chance yet to really dig into it if the rust is hidden. Hopefully it's sound.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I don't think it did.... haven't had a chance yet to really dig into it if the rust is hidden. Hopefully it's sound.
Frame rot and rust in the undercarriage is a dead giveaway that your car's a goner. Source: bought a 96 jeep xj that looked great everywhere except for under, where there were huge holes in the frame rails.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My donor car just arrived last night and I spent some hours today cleaning it out. It's a project, for sure. There is some rust on the floor pans, but not sure yet how extensive. I will get it up on jack stands tomorrow and take a closer look. From the inside it mostly looks pretty good. View attachment 122405 View attachment 122406

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
You said it was a wagon and I didn't even notice until the photos. Those were uncommon!

The wagon is the only variant with a longer wheelbase - 80 mm (3.2") longer than the rest. If you're putting a battery pack in place of or under the rear seat, that extra length will be handy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You said it was a wagon and I didn't even notice until the photos. Those were uncommon!

The wagon is the only variant with a longer wheelbase - 80 mm (3.2") longer than the rest. If you're putting a battery pack in place of or under the rear seat, that extra length will be handy.
Yes, that's why I jumped on the wagon. I measured out the floor and am thinking about dropping it a couple inches and putting batteries under the front seats all the way back to where the gas tank sits between the wheel wells. So basically cutting out the whole floor pan and making a 4'x4' flat battery box to replace it. It would make the new floor a few inches higher than the old, and even with some modding of the seats might have to raise them a couple inches too. This would make the mass of the batteries very low and centered. But I'm still cleaning it out, stripping it down and measuring.

·
Registered
1996 Toyota Land Cruiser
143 Posts
Wow what a cool car! Those graphics are awesome. I definitely will be watching this one. I have an '89 Wagovan I want to convert but this is way cooler!

I am all on-board with the LEAF donor. Why not use the LEAF batteries too? You will need to disassemble it and find a home for all of the modules but that's nothing new. Check out EVNX if you haven't already, he used the NX 5-speed transmission but I say just plonk the LEAF motor/transaxle in there and make custom axles! He is going for big power that's why he chose to stick with that transmission FYI: Dala's EVNX Heck, maybe put the motor/transaxle in the rear!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow what a cool car! Those graphics are awesome. I definitely will be watching this one. I have an '89 Wagovan I want to convert but this is way cooler!

I am all on-board with the LEAF donor. Why not use the LEAF batteries too? You will need to disassemble it and find a home for all of the modules but that's nothing new. Check out EVNX if you haven't already, he used the NX 5-speed transmission but I say just plonk the LEAF motor/transaxle in there and make custom axles! He is going for big power that's why he chose to stick with that transmission FYI: Dala's EVNX Heck, maybe put the motor/transaxle in the rear!
Thanks! I will paint it eventually, but I intend to recreate the graphics. Maybe the color too, but that is an open question for the time being. I think there are a lot of other issues before I get to the paint job. I think I have a solution for what type of batteries, but I'll reveal it if it works out. The problem I keep coming up with around the Leaf battery modules is that you need so freaking many of them to get enough voltage to really run the motor efficiently, and I'm really intimidated by trying to safely wire and control 30-40 modules that are not stacked in the factory brackets and with factory buss bars.

I will take this over to the build thread to keep everyone up to date......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts