DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was contemplating building an EV pack in the 40kWh neighborhood aiming for approximately 320V nominal. It's been a decade or so since I've looked at what battery tech is available to the DIYer. My brief searching seems to indicate that battery costs for the DIY market are still in the stratosphere to the point I could buy an factory made EV for the cost of making my own battery pack. If anyone has any links they could share to help bring me up to speed with what's currently available and how much I might expect to spend on my own battery pack I'd greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Within the past two years, I have purchased two Gen II Chevy Volt packs from salvage yards. Both are virtually new, less than 1000 miles. One cost $1650, the second one about $2000. Freight on both was $300 or so. They would total about 32KW, not as much as you are seeking, but still by far the cheapest solution.

Do a search on www.car-part.com, it's where I found mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Focus Electric (FFE) and was exploring options for when my warranty expires in 2022. I love car-part.com I use them a lot to find stuff. I never thought of finding a EV battery pack from them. After posting this I thought about simply paralleling a smaller pack along side the existing pack to get an additional 12-15 kWh using 18650 or 21700 cells. The FFE has an 86S5P config split up into two packs one where the gas tank would be and one between the rear wheels. Since the weight distribution is already 49%/51% Front/Rear I wouldn't want to add any more weight in the back and there is room under the hood for a modest size pack made up of cylindrical cells. Who knows by 2022 I might be able to replace the OE cells with higher energy density ones and get somewhere near 40ish kWh while maintaining the OE TMS and BMS.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Liyuan seem to be pushing their NMC prismatic cells pretty hard. They look to be a very cost effective way of adding bulk capacity to a DIY project.

Also a million times easier than trying to build a pack from cylindrical 18650 cells...

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 41 kwh tesla built battery from a Rav4 ev for sale. Only 4500 miles on it. Let me know if you are interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts