DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
There are some 10kw motors (>20kw peak) used by electric aero enthusiast. These motors are available as DIY projects for the (more) serious DIY-guys. Hook 2 of them to a small(ish) bike engine and we can start talking series hybrids. Leave parallel hybrids to the big auto-makers - they deserve the headaches.

With a serial hybrid you only need to cover your average power consumption for the distance and speed you want to do, and you should be able to regulate it via your on-board charger, making life easier.

Dawid

·
Registered
312 Posts
Most generator engines are pretty unsophisticated compared to modern auto engines ( both gas and diesel ). I think that is part of the problem - they use more fuel than necessary because the design is 40 years out of date. A nice small bike engine of suitable power, coupled to modern BLDC motor and drive in regen mode, and stripped of everything unnecessary would make a good starting point weight wise.

Another good option would be something like a 1 litre 3 cylinder turbo-diesel driving a reasonable (25kw+) generator, on a trailer. That should give good economy, but towing a trailer has its own penalties, so you would not see all the gains from the more economical engine.

My personal opinion is that if you run a small BEV, buy a normal car for longer distances. If you can afford to convert a larger vehicle or a small truck, you might have some space for a generator. It would then be a space/weight trade-off between required minimum range, battery weight, generator weight and power and your budget. I think this is a difficult balancing act, and most is liable to get it wrong.

Dawid

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.