DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some input on the design of a lightweight hybrid package. The idea is to come up with a vehicle that is as light as possible (well, within reason, of course). It will be built from scratch, taking styling cues from early automobiles - think Ford Model T and similar.

For power delivery I was thinking a motor rated for 5 or 6Hp continuous, attached directly to a Suzuki Samurai rear axle. Probably a 48V motor. Power would be generated by an on-board generator up front.

Now I would need some batteries as a buffer and also to provide DC to the motor. The genset provides AC power.

Question: what type of batteries would be best? 'Ordinary' car batteries or deep-cycle batteries? I am trying to keep costs down, and as battery-only range isn't at all important, I am not too concerned with that.. I would like to know what type of batteries could provide the amperage required by the motor..

Also: how to keep the batteries topped up? The drain would be high and constant, what is the best set-up to provide juice to the batteries without causing damage to the electrical system?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. The whole concept looks so simple in my mind, but the specifics got me baffled.. ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Those specifics will get you every time! Do a search on my handle and you will get much of what your looking for, im doing something very similar to what your wanting to do, you can hit me on PM also if you like.
Tom

1 - 2 of 2 Posts