DIY Electric Car Forums banner

Would you put your conversion through a car wash?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I just read this article about putting electric cars through car washes on Green Car Reports

I then remembered the Karma Fiskers that caught on fire in the floods created by Hurricane Sandy last year.

Based on this, I think this poll would be very useful for everyone.
Here's a poll question for all you DIY conversion drivers:

Would you put your conversion through an automated car wash?

If you would put your conversion through a car wash, what protections did you add to your car that makes you confident about not causing damage to your conversion? shorting terminals, etc?

·
Administrator
6,197 Posts
No - No Way

The electrical stuff would be fine - I can and have driven in the rain

But a roadster with no windscreen! - not drive through material

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Custom made bumper with no intake, and a belly pan should keep me out of trouble in the carwash, but this does sound like a really good question to ask myself as I convert a car. I take a lot of time sealing things up as I convert a car, and I will visualize a car wash in the future in addition to the puddle crashing that I visualize now. I think a professional conversion should be able to go though a carwash with out a second thought.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have never used an automatic car wash on any of my cars for various reasons. Mainly because the tracks that pulls the car through is hard on the steering and the brushes can make streaks in the paint. I have always hand washed my cars. I would not take my electric through that deep of a body of water shown in the video but have driven in some pretty heavy rain and splashed through some impressive puddles of water. I usually try to stay home when it rains hard because of the idiots that drive with no headlights and they are usually in dark colored vehicles.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm more worried about water coming into the car via seals or snapping the antennae off, than the components getting water.

Of course, I answer this, however my vehicle is not yet on the road. Maybe that will change later.

I plan on an engine compartment pan on the bottom, and also only allowing a portion of the front air scoop to function. The air would pass through the small controller cooling radiator, then get directed downwards and not into the engine compartment.

·
Registered
747 Posts
My main concern would be the paint on the vehicle. Many DIY vehicles do not have baked on finishes that can withstand the abrasive action of the car wash brushes.

·
Registered
650 Posts
No,
I would have no concern over the EV installation, but I just keep my cars paintwork near to mint and don't use car washes, either automatic or manual, as they often cause minor scratching. :p

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
Sure! If you're paying!

I would have no concern over doing so, but part of DIY is that I'm far to cheap to pay someone else to wash my car, especially when the grass could use the water anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts