DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I've just begun the process of building a Dodge Rampage EV. I've been poring through this forum/wiki, looking through evalbum, and getting my house in order to hopefully have it at least test driving a year from now. I have done mechanical work on my own vehicles, but I haven't done an electric conversion before.

I picked up 3 non-running Rampages (a 1982 and two 1984's), each in various states of beaten up, for $500 total. The '82 has body rust to fix, but right now is probably the best candidate using the other two for parts.

Tan '84, Brown '82
Brown '84
Size comparison with 2008 Chevy Colorado Two Wheel Drive

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
That's an interesting vehicle choice. Yes, it's small compared to a pickup like the Colorado, because it's derived from a small car.

You might want to check out the discussion "Hello would like to convert 1982 Vw pickup to electric." in the new member introductions section of this forum; the Rampage and the VW Rabbit Pickup are very similar (although I think the VW has a longer box).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the Rampage is an Omni-based pickup meant to compete with the Rabbit. I'm intending to use it strictly as a commuter and city runner, and the only hauling will be some groceries.

I found a facebook page of a Lead Acid Rampage build from 2013 where the builder sunk the battery boxes down into the space you mentioned in the Rabbit thread. The boxes straddled the cross members and would have helped lower the center of gravity.

Certainly a car-based, unibody pickup will sit lower than a body-on-frame truck. The picture was just to show what is considered a "small" modern truck compared against the little guys. At the industrial site where I work, raised Full size or Heavy duty pickups are common commuters, and dwarf my Colorado at least as much as it outsizes the Rampages.

In the 80's, the EPA mileage claim was 47 (!) MPG on the highway. The EPA now lists a 1984 5-speed at 29 MPG highway, still better than the Colorado's 24.

They look aerodynamic, and I'm planning on getting a custom tonneau cover for the box.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
YThey look aerodynamic, and I'm planning on getting a custom tonneau cover for the box.
Appearances are often deceptive. They look okay, but don't expect modern aerodynamic performance. Tonneau covers look they they should work, but don't necessarily reduce drag; you might consider using the cap that is already on one of the Rampages.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, the Rampage is an Omni-based pickup meant to compete with the Rabbit. I'm intending to use it strictly as a commuter and city runner, and the only hauling will be some groceries
Do you have a particular reason for wanting a Rampage EV? It'll cost more, be less reliable, perform worse and be a less good car than a used Nissan Leaf. Now is the best time to really think about this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brian and Emyr for the input!

I had discounted a used Leaf because there are none to be had in my province. Now that I've priced out components at a couple of places, it might make more sense to pursue a production EV and just get the Rampage going on the stock power train.

If I had a very short commute and could get away with a small pack, I think the Rampage as an EV could win out, but my required range might be prohibitive.

So, the next step is to see what I can get shipped here and figure out what makes the most sense.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
I had discounted a used Leaf because there are none to be had in my province.
I didn't notice a location in your profile; what province are you in?

Only the three provinces with subsidized EV sales have any significant supply of used EVs, especially the reasonable models (rather than the Teslas which the sufficiently rich buy everywhere).

If you're in Alberta, there's now a company in Calgary bringing in models that were never sold here, such as the Chevrolet Spark; the same thing is likely being done elsewhere.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Saskatchewan, which is pretty much an EV dead zone (as far as charging and for-sale vehicles go). Having said that, I'm now looking at a used Chevy Volt that's for sale. Not full electric, and lugging an inline-4 around but it's a nice car. A compromise, but one that could work for my commute and fuel efficient long distance travel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts