DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard conflicting reports that they allowed some Model 3s to charge on their stations despite being written off.

Do they actually allow it and did they intend to? I don't follow any Tesla information or news, just not my cup of tea, but the last I'd known they firmly didn't allow any vehicle they knew to have been written off to charge on their stations.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For those playing along overseas, a Tesla also gets "written off", aka gets a Salvage Title, if it is stolen and not recovered by a certain period of time where the insurance has paid out the claim. Nothing wrong with the car, could have 10 miles on the odometer, but Salvage Title meant no more supercharging.

Legally, imo, there's no contract or agreement between Tesla and a salvage car buyer that gives them authority to remove features on the car at the time it is titled. The same charger module is in the car as is in the supercharger....you shouod be able to show a number of charge cycles, say 5, and be allowed to Supercharge. Easily written into software, as any car can jump a curb, not get totaled, and present as a Supercharger risk.

In other words, it's just a bullshit way to kill the secondary market and sell more new cars - or so they think. More cars to people with $20k cash plus sweat and used pieces, vs a willingness to take on a >$1000/month car payment or pay $70k for that car?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
No idea. Mine are still too bent to drive...too many projects, lol

My theory, though, is as time goes on they are forced to act like a real car company.

I heard rumors they were allowing it. Rich Rebuilds should be among the first to rejoice and announce if so, as his daughter drives one and he was pretty vocal about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rich had a video about it but it didn't work. So I would take that as a no. But the car's Tesla account (this feels way too much like Apple) wasn't in his name (not sure how you change that on a salvaged car either) and therefore he couldn't add another payment method... Even though it let him pay off the previous balance on the account.

Which to me adds more questions, which I could probably find the answers to by simply joining a Tesla forum. How do you prove to them the car is yours so you can charge it, even if it isn't a salvage? How are they finding out the cars are written off in the first place? What happens if they decide your car was written off when it wasn't?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know of a model X in the UK which is was written off, Cat S categoried (Structural damage) then properly fixed and can supercharge (for free I believe) still

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Rich had a video about it but it didn't work. So I would take that as a no. But the car's Tesla account (this feels way too much like Apple) wasn't in his name (not sure how you change that on a salvaged car either) and therefore he couldn't add another payment method... Even though it let him pay off the previous balance on the account.

Which to me adds more questions, which I could probably find the answers to by simply joining a Tesla forum. How do you prove to them the car is yours so you can charge it, even if it isn't a salvage? How are they finding out the cars are written off in the first place? What happens if they decide your car was written off when it wasn't?
They were scraping VINs off insurance auction sites according to what I remember reading on the Tesla forum.

Registering the car with Tesla is easy. No different than buying a used one from a private party. Your ID and copy of title, iirc. Thakes two or three days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts