DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone has received a NetGain controller in the last two months?
:mad:I ordered a controlled in the beginning of August when the web site was promising delivery in 6 weeks. Then I heard that it would be mid-October. Now I am told it will not be shipped before the end of November. That is 3 1/2 months!!!! Be careful because they currently still claim shipping in 10 weeks.

I could have bought a Soliton with all the extra $$ I am having spend on gas while waiting.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Hi folks,
I was just wondering if anyone has received a NetGain controller in the last two months?
:mad:I ordered a controlled in the beginning of August when the web site was promising delivery in 6 weeks. Then I heard that it would be mid-October. Now I am told it will not be shipped before the end of November. That is 3 1/2 months!!!! Be careful because they currently still claim shipping in 10 weeks.

I could have bought a Soliton with all the extra $$ I am having spend on gas while waiting.
yep, ur right. The Soliton ships right away.... mine did anyways..:D

·
Registered
277 Posts
This might be Off Topic but here goes anyway...

Tess, I think that the Soliton is the cats meow, not because I know controllers, beleive me, I dont.

I Think this because you are in here with our group helping, for the love of the game, you cant "fake" that kind of commitment to the sport.

If I ever needed someone who I thought REALLY had his act together, regarding controllers, Id call you.

So, assuming the Netgain, Soliton and Zilla are all equal (I know they are not) Its a question of marketing.

People may buy Warp drives because they feel they are better "matched" to the popular Warp motor. (Are they?)

Id bet you would recoup the money spent in annodizing some Solitons red and pre optimizing the settings for Warps and calling them "Warp editions" or something like that.

Food for thought :)
Tom

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
This might be Off Topic but here goes anyway...

Tess, I think that the Soliton is the cats meow, not because I know controllers, beleive me, I dont.

I Think this because you are in here with our group helping, for the love of the game, you cant "fake" that kind of commitment to the sport.

If I ever needed someone who I thought REALLY had his act together, regarding controllers, Id call you.

So, assuming the Netgain, Soliton and Zilla are all equal (I know they are not) Its a question of marketing.

People may buy Warp drives because they feel they are better "matched" to the popular Warp motor. (Are they?)

Id bet you would recoup the money spent in annodizing some Solitons red and pre optimizing the settings for Warps and calling them "Warp editions" or something like that.

Food for thought :)
Tom
Well said! (who's Tess?? ) lol :D:D:D:D

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Nope. No such thing as matching controller and motor when it comes to series wound motors. For AC-motors, SepEx and a few others you have to match the controller and motor, but for series wound there's no such problem since the controller can't affect the way the motor work anyway.

Just set reasonable max current, voltage and power so you don't blow the motor, that's all. However, in most cases the problem is to figure those values out... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nope. No such thing as matching controller and motor when it comes to series wound motors. For AC-motors, SepEx and a few others you have to match the controller and motor, but for series wound there's no such problem since the controller can't affect the way the motor work anyway.

Just set reasonable max current, voltage and power so you don't blow the motor, that's all. However, in most cases the problem is to figure those values out... :rolleyes:
What he meant is a marketing perception based on word "Warp" being in the name of both motor and controller, which might subconsiously lead some people to buy the pair of products based on their marketing name, rather than actual superior product with superior support and immediate availability.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
What he meant is a marketing perception based on word "Warp" being in the name of both motor and controller,
I know, I just responded to that little 2 word question in the parenthesis. :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Something just occurred to me, if the 'engineer types" get good at marketing, we have less to worry about from characters like Jim (who am I this week) Morrison ;-)

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
That's an interesting tidbit... I wonder what's really going on over there.

Thanks. I appreciate being appreciated. I'll try to not let it go to my head... :D

That said, credit is also due to Qer (the programming genius behind the Soliton1) who is a big participant here as well.

Oh, we learned our lesson but good on anodizing cast aluminum - it looks like crap, especially the colors, so don't even bother!

As for making a WarP edition of the Soliton1, that would just perpetuate the myth that the Netgain controllers are somehow better suited to their motors, which, as Qer noted, is not the case.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Not sure your logic behind a Warp edition of the Soliton strengthening Warps position?
I guess it's because comments like this...

I bought a 1,000-amp water-cooled controller from EV Source, newly-designed with the NetGain motors in mind....
...tend to stick in my brain for a long, long time.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Hi folks,

Have you tried asking for a refund? This is beyond what is reasonable and since it hasn't even been shipped, they should be willing to give all of your money back (don't let them charge you a restocking fee!).

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's an interesting tidbit... I wonder what's really going on over there.
I apologize to those that have waited longer than what was originally quoted. We've had some supplier changes and long machine shop lead times. There were several enhancements added over the summer that ended up taking a lot longer than anticipated. Things were moving along at a moderate clip at that point, but then orders came flying in. We are moving steadily towards whittling away that 8-10 weeks to stock on the shelf.

We've got a large production run that will be finishing soon, allowing us to ship out faster than what we've been telling dealers. So hopefully, those that were quoted mid November will be receiving product early November.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Don't believe in shipping times for NetGain controllers
It's maybe because Netgain change the conception of his controller!!?

First picture: from 2009 to 09-2010
Second pic: 09-2010 to today..... Strange!

·
Registered
137 Posts
ngcontrols:
Thanks for providing the only response necessary in this thread. It saddens me when the Solitron factory and their fans pile on in thread after thread about competitor's products.

From "Tess":

"That's an interesting tidbit... I wonder what's really going on over there. "

and:

"Oh, we learned our lesson but good on anodizing cast aluminum - it looks like crap, especially the colors, so don't even bother!"

It's unprofessional to throw out political style backhanded comments like these. I notice them and as a Netgain motor AND controller owner, they stick with me for a long time...the controller is high quality and the anodizing is absolutely beautiful! I appreciate the valuable help others on this forum have given me during my build but this slamming of Netgain by Solitron should not be allowed by the admin. Oh wait, the admin is the one suggesting a refund is in order :(

Disclosure: Yep, I'm a Netgain dealer.

Off my soapbox.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
ngcontrols:
Thanks for providing the only response necessary in this thread. It saddens me when the Solitron factory and their fans pile on in thread after thread about competitor's products.

From "Tess":

"That's an interesting tidbit... I wonder what's really going on over there. "
Sorry you took this as me "piling on", though of course people will tend to assume that any comment from a competitor is an attack. Still, this was a rather big assumption given that if you didn't know who I was then you'd be hard-pressed to see ANY sort of attack in my post.

I've heard all sorts of rumors as to why the NetGain controllers have been unavailable but I don't repeat them out of a sense of fair play and, because, they are simply rumors. In fact, I had an interesting conversation this summer with Collin about the state of the controller market, etc., and at the time he mentioned that they had a building backlog because Ryan was soldering the boards by hand - that's certainly a plausible reason to me.

We may be competitors but we aren't enemies.

"Oh, we learned our lesson but good on anodizing cast aluminum - it looks like crap, especially the colors, so don't even bother!"
And this was in reference to OUR experience anodizing the cast aluminum Soliton1 enclosure (which I outright state in that sentence?!). We were told over and over again that cast aluminum wouldn't anodize well, that the colors would come out gray and splotchy, and guess what - the anodizing shops were right (go figure).

Oh wait, the admin is the one suggesting a refund is in order :(
Sure, asking for a refund from the dealer is a perfectly reasonable response by the OP after not receiving the controller they paid for in the promised timeframe. Six weeks? Eight weeks? Ten weeks? Never? People are understandably nervous about waiting a long time, then longer still, for their expensive components, especially after the EVComponents debacle...

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
It saddens me when the Solitron factory and their fans pile on in thread after thread about competitor's products.
Hm. Should I take that as a direct reference to my post earlier or should I just be considered collateral damage from your verbal cluster bomb?

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
Disclosure: Yep, I'm a Netgain dealer.
And your bias is showing quite clearly. You're reading into things that aren't there, and not helping your cause. The OP's concerns are valid, and asking for a refund for a product not being delivered is quite reasonable. The customer doesn't have to worry about the reasons, if they can't get the product they ordered in the time expected then a refund is in order if they request it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
he mentioned that they had a building backlog because Ryan was soldering the boards by hand - that's certainly a plausible reason to me.
Always good to not spread rumors :)

I've certainly done some soldering by hand, but only on prototypes. Assembly has been a different story. Fortunately, our contract manufacturer will be taking that over completely again soon.

We may be competitors but we aren't enemies.
Exactly. One thing I've enjoyed working in the EV business is that there seems to be a healthy respect between competitors. Competition is good, but when it comes with fairness. If it ever came to competitor product bashing, I wouldn't be joining in. I happen to have a lot of respect for the EVNetics people and their products and support.

Sure, asking for a refund is a perfectly reasonable response after being *lied to* about when the OP would be getting his controller. Six weeks? Eight weeks? Ten weeks? Never? People are understandably nervous about waiting a long time, then longer still, for their expensive components, especially after the EVComponents debacle...
"*lied* to" is not the best words to use here. "Lie: a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood". There was no deliberate intent to mislead dealers/customers on delivery times. We just haven't perfected our production scheduling. And yes, asking for a refund is perfectly within reason, although we'd hate to see anyone go.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts