DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was removing the brush holder, dropped a screw. I would have thought the screw would have stuck to one of the magnets The motor was spinning freely before this happened. now it is not spinning. A quarter turn is as far as it goes. I have the motor stripped of everything I can remove. Snap ring removed.
Along with dust/lint I found three small nuts m4/5 on top of the magnets. The brush holder has a broken positive post which I could replace now that the brush holder is off the motor. The brushes and commutator look good.
Found the screw lodged between the magnet/case of the motor and the rotor windings.I will need to remove the rotor to remove the screw and check for damaged insulation. would a three jaw puller work or would I need to get it pressed out?
Later floyd

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Looks like you can press it out from this side...a lot easier than pulling.

You may know this already, but do not whack on the shaft to get it out unless you plan on replacing the bearing. A shop press will do it; if you don't have one, an automotive machine shop does.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, I should be able to find a automotive machine shop. If I was still working I would ask the guys in the mechanics shop for a favor.
Later floyd

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
the 3 holes that look like 1/4-20 : are they threaded? Those might be the bearing removal holes so find the correct sized bolts and see.

I wouldn't pound on the red ring.... that looks like the bearing retainer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took it into an electric motor service and rewinding place they Pressed the rotor out removed the screw screw pressed the rotor back in while I waited for $20. I replaced the broken positive post with a slightly smaller diameter brass machine screw 1/4" dia. vs .306". Largest I could find locally (didn't search too hard.). I may put in new brushes at which time I will put in a M8 post either copper or brass. I was mildly surprised when I hooked a 12v jumper box to the motor and it worked.
The three small holes are threaed but much smaller than 1/4" maybe m3/m4.
Later floyd

1 - 11 of 11 Posts