DIY Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 368 Posts

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Hi Piersdad,

After I get it on the road I intend doing some motorsport - sprints/hillclimbs so I will be trailering it about
Might make it up to Christchurch some day - If I do we may be able to meet up

Or any time you are down here in the deep south???

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Car back from Dunedin

I needed
- Headrests - Done
- Label the switches - Done
- Wheel alignment check - Done

Now I am just waiting for my Cert plate :D

Now - What colour do I paint the front?? :confused:

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
most electric vehicle owners have a permanent grinn so paint a EV grin on the front where the radiator would be with electrics you have any thing there very impressive job there
The wife says I should put a pair of big red lips there - like the Rocky Horror Show

I will wait and see what it looks like with a number plate

Charger
I have a basic bad boy charger,
110v transformer, capacitors, bridge rectifier, ammeter voltmeter

Now working on a switch to shut it off when it reaches target voltage,
I did have a switch but I seem to have let the magic smoke out of it

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Hi Guys

Some pictures

Been on the road since Thursday - I drove it on Thursday with the plates in a bag on the passengers seat - not completely legally!

The black "Cert Plate" was what it was all about

I have been driving to work everyday since - and taking it around showing it off!

Range is a bit short - especially with a steep gravel road up to my place

Getting about 25Km on a charge ~ 1Ah/Km (144Wh) - unless I boot it -

I have nominally 32Ah - but the controller is set to limit me before I get too low

It can spin the back tires if I'm on my own and the tarmac is a bit iffy - need MORE current!

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Congrads Duncan you're a true pioneer and piersdad I read through your story and couldn't believe what you accomplished, imagine how many electric cars would be on the road now if petrol prices remained high.

·
Registered
65 Posts
thanks albo2 at least i have 3 of my vehicles in museums and collections and my conzept with its deflection safety idea is still to come. the modern idea of crushing ability to reduce impact only makes the slightest hit write off a car -- ever watched a 200 km/h race car come out with the driver intact thats deflection safety---- love to see your car one day duncan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Cool car Duncan. Wow, that was a huge undertaking. I have a couple of questions. When you advanced the brushes in your motor, did you move just the brush plate or the whole end cap? Did you end up using the 48 volt forklift contactors you talked about using early on? One more thing, would you say that the open revolt is something a novice could build or do you need a fair understanding of electronics?

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Hi puddleglum

Advancing brushes
I moved the whole end cap, you will find it is located on a register - you just need to take it off and drill and tap some new holes in the main barrel

Contactors
I am using two contactors - one breaks pack positive, the other negative
in addition I am using the reversing contactor - all from a small forklift
I am also using the main plug and socket from the forklift on a cable as my "Oh Shit" Handle
(Pulling the old spade handle in the cab pulls apart the connector)
These parts are all a bit weak for their function but they seem to be working OK - and they were the right price (free)

OpenRevolt
Talking as a complete novice - I did get it working but it did die on me
I am using a borrowed Soliton at the moment but I do intend rebuilding the OpenRevolt

It does not need any knowledge of electronics BUT it does require soldering - I learned a lot in building my one

The thing I did wrong (I think) is to leave a completed unboxed controller in a mucky workshop for a year - I had a failure on power up (blown MOSFET)- but the controller kept working,

I replaced the MOSFETS (one blown and it's neighbor) and it worked for a few weeks and then it blew comprehensively

I think the initial failure was due to dirt or a spider, the second failure was due to the first failure

I really like the Soliton - But it is seven times the price! so I will definately rebuild the OpenRevolt - unless I win the lotto!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Thanks Duncan, am I right in assuming the contactors are 48 volt too and came with the forklift motor? Free is always good if it works. I am planning on keeping the contactors as well, but I wasn't sure if I should use them for a high voltage system. Good to know they will work. Are you having any arcing in reverse with the motor advanced?
Have you tried cranking up the power on the Soliton, or are you too limited with your small battery pack?

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Hi puddlegum

No the contactors came from a 24v forklift I bought and scrapped!
I had hoped to use one of the motors but they were not suitable, while trying to sell some of the bits I found the place that had my motor
I about broke even on the old forklift selling off the forks, batteries and scrap metal

Don't know about arcing in reverse but I don't gun it in reverse.

I have the Soliton set to 600 amps - with max battery at 500 amps and the voltage limits quite conservative,
I could set it higher but I would then feel very sorry for myself when I have to go back to the OpenRevolt

·
Registered
194 Posts
Range is a bit short - especially with a steep gravel road up to my place

Getting about 25Km on a charge ~ 1Ah/Km (144Wh) - unless I boot it -

I have nominally 32Ah - but the controller is set to limit me before I get too low

It can spin the back tires if I'm on my own and the tarmac is a bit iffy - need MORE current!
Are these specs with the soliton and 600 amps or with the open revolt? Just trying to get a handle on what kind of performance /range I can expect as I was thinking of using the open revolt as well, Not sure I'm up to the challenge though. :)

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Hi Guys
I have had to give the Soliton back - sob..

Thanks for the loan Owen!

Just got my OpenRevolt back working - 500amps is definitely NOT as good as 600amps
But it's still reasonably quick

I will have to watch the Amphour meter a bit closer now as I won't have the Soliton's power cut at lower voltages

Still it's nice to have MY controller back in place

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Update,I have done just over 500Km

Got my controller working again
I had a problem initially but that was due to the brake switch which I had arranged to short out the throttle pot
Unfortunately it was switching before I applied brakes, a quick adjustment and all was fine,

The Lee Hart Battery bridge worked perfectly and told me I had a problem!

I stripped out my battery pack and sure enough one of my 88 cells had effectively gone open circuit

The bridge worked really well - single green LED until I gave it some welly whereupon one of the red LEDs lit nicely

I have decided this would be a good occasion for me to increase my pack size,
145v and 32Ah is a bit small
So I have ordered some more Headway 16Ah cells and I intend going from
2P 44S to 3P 44S

This will mean I will be hitting the cells a bit less,
but as I am still hoping for the OpenSource guys to complete one of their 1000amp controllers.....

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Hi guys
Long overdue time for a follow up

The Device is now painted – Kermit Green :D
And has a tilt forwards front

The 44s 3p pack failed after my first autocross,
I blew three cells :mad:

Headway have been very good and replaced a lot of cells and also gave me some more
However these cells (16Ah) are no longer being made and I have found some problems
(1) They are not 16Ah – some were as low as 12Ah
(2) They seem to just die sometimes

I believe that Headway is now making a new line of cells – I hope that they have learned and the new cells are better

Because my cell seem to be subject to sudden death and if paralleled up the death of one cell kills its brothers I have now split them into separate strings,
I now have four strings of 40 cells each with a Lee Hart Batt Bridge and an Alderson connector so that I can disconnect a string and keep driving

I have splashed out on new springs and I now have 100lb/in front and 125 lb/in rear

Now the big change
I have fitted a prototype Paul & Sabrina Controller
This is an IGBT unit and is good for 1500amps – I have mine set for 1000amps at the moment (We need a mad scientist icon for things like this) :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The Device is on the trailer and we are booked into a hotel in Christchurch tomorrow night.

We haven't been back to Christchurch since the earthquake - not sure if I'm looking forwards to seeing it or not

61 - 80 of 368 Posts