DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this would be my first endeavor to convert to electric. I have a 2003 mustang I will soon be taking off the road since I have a commercial truck I drive for work. I have been inspired to do so from last night watching the documentry "Who killed the electric car". These fourms are my first step in research for this project.

That bieng said the plans I currently have in my head are crude and very likely the wrong way to do it. What first comes to mind is running 2 motors, 1 for each rear wheel. 3 battey banks, one under rear seat. Second running threw the colum that the drive shaft passes though. third would be in the engine bay. The range I hope for is min 150km as I live 25km from the cities edge. I also am looking for fast as possible acceleration for that range it has to drive.

As for my skills to do this, would have to say that I am a decent metal fabricator, good welding skills. I am also good with electrical among other skills a self taught engineer almost. complex electronics is my weakness though. the motor/battery controller I could not make.

So my immediate research goals would to find the right motors, batteries and a control system to handle them

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I love muscle cars. What you are proposing is often called "direct drive." It is the topic of great debate whether to keep the transmission or go direct drive. There are advantages both ways. Direct drive requires a very strong motor or twin motors, a stout controller, and powerful batteries.

Most folks with similar vehicles do twin motors driving the driveshaft. It's a pretty big fabrication job to do a motor to each rear wheel. You have to do the gear reduction twice. It has to be extremely strong as it handles the multiplied torque. It's much easier to leverage what Ford has already engineered for you, the original rear axle with built-in gear reduction.

These web pages would be a great place to see other fast RWD cars:

http://www.NEDRA.com

http://www.EValbum.com
this would be my first endeavor to convert to electric. I have a 2003 mustang I will soon be taking off the road since I have a commercial truck I drive for work. I have been inspired to do so from last night watching the documentry "Who killed the electric car". These fourms are my first step in research for this project.

That bieng said the plans I currently have in my head are crude and very likely the wrong way to do it. What first comes to mind is running 2 motors, 1 for each rear wheel. 3 battey banks, one under rear seat. Second running threw the colum that the drive shaft passes though. third would be in the engine bay. The range I hope for is min 150km as I live 25km from the cities edge. I also am looking for fast as possible acceleration for that range it has to drive.

As for my skills to do this, would have to say that I am a decent metal fabricator, good welding skills. I am also good with electrical among other skills a self taught engineer almost. complex electronics is my weakness though. the motor/battery controller I could not make.

So my immediate research goals would to find the right motors, batteries and a control system to handle them

·
Registered
1,700 Posts

First and foremost what is your budget for this project??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts