DIY Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at purchasing a Chevy Volt battery to power a (slightly suped-up) go-kart I am working on. I have the ability to either buy an entire Chevy Volt battery with factory BMS or go with the SIMP BMS or even go down the path of integrating the Batrium Watchmon 5.

I am planning on having a Raspberry Pi display show some basic stats (because why not) from the BMS; however, I am assuming the BMS would handle the rest. I also have a Siemens US2 VersiCharge that I was "gifted" by a friend I would like to try and charge the whole apprentice.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been buried in these forums for days! Great stuff but a lot to consume.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Simp bms is just a master. It requires the oem slaves to be present.

it’s the safest and most cost effective solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@Bratitude I am imagining something like this roughly drawn image. Am I missing something?

Edit: I understand there will be A LOT more circuitry when it comes to the converter; however, I am just struggle busing with the BMS portion right now.

Any diagrams would be helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help; decided to just go SIMP BMS and Tesla battery just gauging from community documentation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
uh sorta. Look at the simp bms documentation. the PDF shows the variety of oem bms slaves it interfaces with.
And simp bms has a nextion touch screen for showing battery stats.

it works great with gen1 Chevy volt batteries. As well has tesla model x/s, outlander, and other batteries

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just to put in my 2 cents:

I know the Orion BMS is expensive, but it's honestly worth it.
Very easy setup, great support from the Orion guys too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts