102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my current EV conversion plan.
Donor car - Mercedes s550 (W221)
Motor/inverter - Lexus GS450H
Battery pack - Chevy Bolt pack (57kwh)
Charger - Chevy Bolt
BMS - Chevy Bolt
12V supply - "auxiliary" Leaf modules (2kwh)

The challenge I have now is how to keep some essentials:
- speedometer
- engine (motor) temperature gauge
- central locking /alarm
- ABS
Also incorporate new essentials:
- BMS data- SOC, voltage, current draw

I used to tinker with computers, but I have no programming skills. I've never worked with canbus.
I had a brief discussion with a very experienced Mercedes technician. He thought the conversation was possible, but said it would be a gargantuan task - not least of all because of the integration of the cars' electronics.
Are there folk on the forum who could advise further?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are there folk on the forum who could advise further?
Sorry I can't help but if you plan on using Damien Maguire's VCU to control the Lexus Inverter/Transmission, have you started a project thread over at open inverter.org yet? I suspect that's the most likely place you'll get some support/know-how.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much, PaceMaker!
I suppose there must be enough nerds on openinverter who may be able to help. I hadn't realised they bother with vehicle electronics beyond motors and controllers.
Much obliged!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can't guarantee anyone will help with your project but there are guys there who are sniffing can busses in their own cars to try and figure out how to adapt hybrid drive units to ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm looking at doing the same on a Corvette Z06 with headsup display.

Unless someone volunteers the CANBUS control words for the instrument cluster, which I doubt exists anywhere, I think it's easiest to fake the signals that would normally come from the respective transducers and keep the BCM doing its CANBUS thing. One man's 2.5V 40PSI oil pressure is another's 2.5V 40% SOC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts