DIY Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I continue to flirt with the idea of an electric tractor and wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about this kit builder out of Canada?:

He has a full kit minus batteries for $1500 (not sure if that is USD or CAD):

Details on the components is a little light. From what I've seen on his Youtube videos, it appears to be a direct drive arrangement (hydro tranny and belts are deleted).

A small electric tractor for my wife and oldest son for yard chores is attractive. Per session, it would not get prolonged use so retaining the hydro trans. and belt driven mower deck (arguably more inefficient than a directly driven setup) probably would not be a big deal and make operation/conversion easier. But that would probably be a self-assembled kit. I would like to find a hydro garden tractor with a blown engine.

An electric golf cart with rear bed is also an option, they just tend to be expensive. Around me (Michigan, USA), a running/working electric golf cart is $3000+ and is rough cosmetically. I think an electric tractor can be had for around half that number.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
He has a full kit minus batteries for $1500 (not sure if that is USD or CAD)
That's CAD, as expected from the location and shown in the "shopping cart" checkout page.

Details on the components is a little light.
That's a generous description. It looks like after 25 years of developing his business idea, he spent ten minutes producing website content to sell it.

From what I've seen on his Youtube videos, it appears to be a direct drive arrangement (hydro tranny and belts are deleted).
The rear axle is part of the transaxle assembly in these lawn tractors. If the hydrostatic (or other) transmission is removed, the kit would need to provide an axle, and a reduction drive between the motor and the axle.
Yes, the mower drive belts - and likely the blade shafts with bearings - should be eliminated, replaced with mounting the blades on the shafts of the mower motors.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts